Boston Cream Pie Banana Oatmeal; a superfood dessert oatmeal breakfast made with natural ingredients and packed with protein. Dairy free, gluten free, and protein packed! Vegan option
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free quick cooking oats. If using whole oats just use 1 cup.
- 1 ripe small banana
- 1/4 –1/3 cup coconut cream or milk (thickened portion that’s solid) (regular or lite)
- 8 –10 oz almond milk (or chocolate almond milk)
- dash of salt
- 1 egg or for lighter version use 1/4 cup egg whites (see notes for vegan option with flax egg)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Toppings for oatmeal:
- 1/4 tsp butter extract (optional)
- 2–4 ounces coconut or non dairy yogurt for topping
- 2 tbsp of a Vanilla vegan protein powder (a type of pea protein works best for texture).
- Honey or maple syrup (sweetened to your preference)
- 1 oz (around 4 tbsp) Melted dark chocolate chips (enjoy life dairy free brand)
- cacao nibs to top (optional)
- See notes for microwave version. But best texture comes from stove top.
- First, blend or mash your banana so it’s almost pureed.
- Next, mix your cream and almond milk. Place on stove top in small pan and bring to a soft boil. Don’t actually boil, just close to it . Add in your oats or quick oats and pinch of salt. Stir in your whole egg (or egg whites if you want lighter version).
- Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and banana mixture.
- Cover and let it sit on low or off for 5 to 10 minutes. If you have regular oats, then you will need to cook according to package. Usually around 20 minutes. The egg should create a thicker texture, with the egg (or egg white) portion cooking within the oats. You can see it getting thicker. Stir a few times while cooking.
- Once oats are cooked, spoon into bowls.
Make the “custard” topping
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup of coconut or non dairy yogurt 1-2 tbsp of vanilla protein powder, and any sweetener you desire. My trick is to add in butter extract and a spoonful of honey to make it taste more like custard. Mix together until thickened.
- Place chocolate in microwave dish. Cook until melted. Usually takes 60 seconds with stirring at 30 seconds.
- Spoon yogurt mix on top of each bowl. Drizzle your dark chocolate sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with extra cacao nibs or maple syrup/honey if desired.
- For dairy free, use these dark chocolate chips. For VEGAN OPTION– replace egg with “Flax egg” – Mix 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed with 3 Tablespoons hot water. Place aside for a few minutes until the mixture thickens similar the consistency of an egg white.
- This recipe can be made in the microwave with quick cooking oats. Just mix the milk and eggs together. Mix in with the oats ingredients and divide into 3 bowls. Cook one bowl at a time in microwave. Topping is same on each.
- Nutrition based on using quick oats and light coconut milk.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/3 recipe
- Calories: 282
- Sugar: 14.4g
- Sodium: 84mg
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Protein: 12.9g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
Keywords: Boston cream pie, sweet oatmeal recipe, dairy free breakfast, gluten free breakfast, high protein breakfast