This Veggie Soup is gluten free and grain free, but still packed with nourishment and flavor! Easy to make in the crock pot or stove! Paleo friendly with simple wholesome ingredients.
- 6 cups broth
- 3 cups chopped potato (russet or sweet potato)
- 2 cups brussel sprout shavings
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 5 pieces of smoked bacon (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey mustard (spicy or dijon mustard if you are WHOLE30)
- 1/2 tsp paprika (smoked is best)
- 1/4 tsp garlic minced
- dash of sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried herbs (chives, onion, etc) OR 2 tbsp fresh chopped herbs such as chive/onion.
- First make sure all your ingredients are chopped. 3 cups chopped potato was equivalent to about 2 potatoes.
- Lightly steam/soften your potato pieces in a small bowl in microwave for about 90 seconds. Then add to your crock pot.
- Add in your broth, veggies, and bacon on top.
- mix in your seasonings and the oil/mustard.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hrs or high for 3 hrs.
- Add herbs half way through cooking or at the end to garnish.
- Serve and top with aged cheddar and dash of black pepper if desired.
- See notes for non crock pot times.
We used smoked bacon from 5280 Meats.
If you are not using Crock pot, follow same prep direction but cook on medium low stove top for about 1 hr or until bacon/potato are thoroughly cooked through.