Mexican-inspired avocado egg salad wraps take your typical egg salad from bland to bursting with flavor thanks to the addition of avocado, green chilies, and spices! Wrap it up in your favorite greens for a quick and healthy lettuce wrap recipe that’s low carb and meal prep friendly.
This recipe, originally published in 2017, has been updated to provide you with better content and an improved recipe! If you can’t find something you’re looking for, let us know, and we’ll be happy to help!
Eggscellent Avocado Egg Salad
Is there anything that screams warm weather quite like egg salad? It’s a classic summer recipe that’s always delicious and so easy to whip together! However, in our opinion, typical egg salads tend to be just a little bland.
So, we decided to spice things up (get it 😉) with this avocado egg salad! It’s just as easy as the version you know and love but with a bit of a Mexican-inspired twist.
Unlike other healthy egg salad recipes, our version is:
- Given an extra silky texture and a boost of healthy unsaturated fats and fiber thanks to the use of avocado
- Made with fresh herbs and spices like cilantro, cumin, and paprika
- A little on the spicy side with the addition of green chilies and jalapeno to top
- Added to our lettuce wrap recipe for an easy meal prep option
- And more!
Don’t worry, though. We kept things super simple so you can be in and out of the kitchen in no time!
How to Make Egg Salad with Avocado
Just as you probably imagined, making avocado egg salad is a matter of preparing your ingredients and mashing them all together. However, to ensure you get the perfect combination of flavors, we’re breaking the process down step-by-step below!
- Hard boil your eggs and remove the yolk.
- Add the yolks to a food processor along with avocado, cilantro, green chilies, garlic, spices, a dash of lime, onion, salt, and pepper. Pulse until the ingredients are combined but still a little chunky.
- Add the yolks to a food processor along with avocado, cilantro, green chilies, garlic, spices, a dash of lime juice, onion, salt, and pepper. Pulse until the ingredients are combined but still a little chunky. Or, just fine chop and mash the ingredients in a bowl by hand!
Pro-Tip: To add a little texture to your avocado egg salad and prevent food waste, try chopping up some of the leftover egg whites. Then, fold them into the mixture.
That’s it! In just a few minutes you have yourself the best avocado egg salad you’ll ever taste, I may be biased, but we didn’t stop there!
Keep reading to learn how we turned this recipe into the easiest meal prep you’ll ever make
Tips for the Best Healthy Egg Salad
- Hard boil your eggs ahead of time. To save time, make sure you have eggs prepped and ready to go. If you’re in a pinch, you can even pick up pre-boiled eggs from the store! Just make sure they aren’t overcooked. You want a pretty golden center.
- Use fresh herbs. This will help their flavors shine through.
- Don’t overmix your egg salad. You want the texture to be smooth but not sauce-like. So, be sure to pulse your food processor until all of the items are just combined.
- For a creamier texture with a slightly richer taste, try adding an additional 2-4 tablespoons of avocado or real mayo.
- Kick up the spice. If you’re feeling adventurous, add a dash of chipotle mayo to your lettuce wraps for even more heat!
How Long Does Avocado Egg Salad Last?
This recipe is best eaten fresh because the avocados tend to brown and the lettuce leaves can wilt. However, if you do happen to have leftovers, they can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. We recommend storing the avocado egg salad and lettuce wraps separately. Then, combine them right before serving!
Storage Tip: Sprinkle a bit of lemon juice on top of your egg salad before storing it to prevent the avocado from oxidizing and turning brown.
Healthy Egg Salad Turned Lettuce Wrap Recipe!
Sure, you could serve this egg salad in between slices of gluten free bread, spread on crackers, or even as a dip for veggies. However, we wanted something a little lighter and still easy to take on the go. So, let us introduce you to our lettuce wrap recipe! Honestly, we don’t know why we didn’t think of it sooner.
Crisp lettuce creates the perfect crunch to contrast the creaminess of the avocado egg salad! You can even switch things up by using different greens! For instance, we love to use steamed collard greens. However, romaine cups also work well and provide a slightly lighter taste.
However, we recommend wrapping your lettuce wraps in parchment paper to keep them from falling apart. It makes for easy packing, too!
Nutrition Note: Different greens have different nutritional values. The darker the green, the more nutrients it has to offer including folate and B vitamins!
Honestly, any greens you want to use would be fine. Or, you could even pile it onto a bed of lettuce for an avocado egg salad…er, salad!
More Ways To Wrap
Looking for more tasty wraps? We’ve got you covered! Take a look at a few more of our favorites below.
- A tasty option any time of day, Paleo Breakfast Egg Wraps are a versatile vegetarian-friendly meal prep recipe ready with just 2 ingredients!
- If like us, you can’t get enough swiss chard, you’re going to love these Salad Wraps with Apple. Vegetarian, refined sugar free, full of fiber, healthy fats, antioxidants, and more, they’re perfect for lunch.
- Chinese BBQ Pork Lettuce Wraps are made in the Instant Pot or on the stove top for a light recipe loaded with flavors and textures and so easy to make ahead of time.
If you give these Mexican avocado egg salad wraps a try, we would love it if you let us know in the comments below, and feel free to leave any questions you may have! We’re always here to help!