Italian Egg Bake is a delicious low carb breakfast recipe, also perfect for a healthy brunch or breakfast for dinner (brinner). This healthy egg breakfast has cheesy baked eggs, crispy nitrate free pancetta, fresh vegetables and Italian seasonings, all simmered up in a zesty tomato sauce. It’s perfect for back to school meal planning, too. Gluten free, grain free, low carb, and kid friendly!
Hey friends! Switching things up this week. We’re focusing on quick recipes with simple pantry staples. I feel like last week it was all the healing and vegan recipes. Which is oh so needed and good, but to be honest, I’m currently in need of quick meal ideas because A, I’m jet lagged and cannot get my brain back to time zone. Whoa, I’ve been to Iceland and back in 5 days with 2.5 days of travel. CRAZY. But also, these ingredients are literally the only foods left in our pantry and fridge. Convenient you might say, yes?
Despite my lack of brain powder, I can still function enough to throw together a simple “Italian Style” egg bake of sorts. And if I can do it, you can do it too! PROMISE!
Quick Meals for Busy Weeknights
The Italian Egg Bake is a recipe you can throw together quickly, using simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry! As mentioned above. Just thought you needed that reminder. 😛
Quick, easy, and simple dinner ideas are the best when it comes to busy weeknights. Keeping meals healthy is important too, and this delicious Italian egg bake covers all of those bases.
It also happens to be a favorite recipe part of my August recipe theme, 30 minute meals for busy weeknights! That makes it perfect for back to school meal planning, because it can be served for breakfast, dinner or an easy weekend brunch.
Some of my favorite healthy dinners are 30 minute meals! Have you tried my easy paleo salmon cakes recipe yet? Oh, and like the Italian egg bake, my gluten free French bread breakfast strata is also perfect to serve as breakfast for dinner.
What Makes the Italian Egg Bake a Healthy Recipe?
Okay it might be just “healthyis” but you get the point. It’s all about the QUALITY of ingredients.
We’ve already mentioned that it’s a low carb egg bake, but the Italian egg bake recipe gets its healthy boost from:
- protein rich eggs
- nitrate free pancetta, giving it a hearty, bacon-like flavor, without the saturated fat and nasty nitrates.
- almond milk – using a nut milk lowers the calories, cholesterol, and saturated fats in the recipe.
- using fresh garden vegetables
- Parmesan cheese has a big dose of calcium, coming in at a whopping 55mg per tablespoon!
If you haven’t guessed it already, the “Italian” part comes from the pancetta, parmesan, italian herbs like oregano and basil, plus tomatoes and tomato sauce of course. It’s like the European version of a BLT Egg Casserole. I know, I’m so clever. You’re welcome.Print
Italian Egg Bake is a low carb breakfast recipe that’s perfect for a healthy breakfast, brunch, or breakfast for dinner (brinner). Great for back to school meal planning, too! Low carb, gluten free, grain free, and kid friendly!
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion (around 140 grams)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (extra for topping)
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt and pepper each (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 5 large cage-free eggs
- Red pepper flakes to garnish
- Oregano to garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pan fry the pancetta and onion together in 8 inch cast iron skillet (or oven safe pan) for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk together the almond milk, and parmesan cheese. Reserve extra cheese for topping.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato, sea salt/ pepper, tomato sauce ,and herbs.
- Pour the milk tomato mix over the cast iron skillet (or oven safe pan) with the onion and pancetta.
- With a spatula, create 5 small crevices in the pan (evenly spaced)where you can place the eggs so the yolk don’t break. Crack 5 eggs on top of each crevice.. If you find you have an egg with a running yolk, just mix it to the pan, but then add another egg that has a set yolk. Or discard the running yolk.
- Add any extra cheese on top of eggs and place skillet in oven for 15-18 minutes or until egg whites have set (yolk will be soft) and corners are brown. Baking times vary with oven and type of skillet used.
- Garnish with Italian parsley and red pepper flakes. Enjoy
Baking times vary with oven and type of skillet used. I prefer using a Cast iron skillet.
Keywords: Italian egg bake, low carb breakfast, baked eggs, gluten free, grain free, low carb, kid friendly, 30 minute meals
Quick, name one GO TO MEAL for when you short on time and in my in circumstance, also short on brain cells?
Eggcellent! Time to get your EGG BAKE ON!