Italian Egg Bake is a low carb breakfast recipe that’s perfect for a healthy breakfast, brunch, or breakfast for dinner (brinner). Great for back to school meal planning, too! Low carb, gluten free, grain free, and kid friendly!
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion (around 140 grams)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (extra for topping)
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt and pepper each (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 5 large cage-free eggs
- Red pepper flakes to garnish
- Oregano to garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pan fry the pancetta and onion together in 8 inch cast iron skillet (or oven safe pan) for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk together the almond milk, and parmesan cheese. Reserve extra cheese for topping.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato, sea salt/ pepper, tomato sauce ,and herbs.
- Pour the milk tomato mix over the cast iron skillet (or oven safe pan) with the onion and pancetta.
- With a spatula, create 5 small crevices in the pan (evenly spaced)where you can place the eggs so the yolk don’t break. Crack 5 eggs on top of each crevice.. If you find you have an egg with a running yolk, just mix it to the pan, but then add another egg that has a set yolk. Or discard the running yolk.
- Add any extra cheese on top of eggs and place skillet in oven for 15-18 minutes or until egg whites have set (yolk will be soft) and corners are brown. Baking times vary with oven and type of skillet used.
- Garnish with Italian parsley and red pepper flakes. Enjoy
Baking times vary with oven and type of skillet used. I prefer using a Cast iron skillet.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: main, dinner, breakfast, brunch
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 23
- Sugar: 0.3 g
- Sodium: 55.1 mg
- Fat: 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.7 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 22.7 mg
Keywords: Italian egg bake, low carb breakfast, baked eggs, gluten free, grain free, low carb, kid friendly, 30 minute meals