Juicy and tender, these Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs are the ultimate sheet pan recipe. Paired with Brussels sprouts, it’s a quick, easy, and nutritious gluten-free dinner the whole family is guaranteed to love!
Posted with permission, this recipe is based on and adapted from the honey mustard chicken recipe found in the “Two Peas and Their Pod Cookbook: Favorite Everyday Recipes” by Maria Lichty from Two Peas & Their Pod.
The Secret to Juicy Chicken!
As mentioned, this recipe is adapted from one originally created by my friend, Maria Lichty. Let me tell you, not only has she cracked the code to making unbelievably juicy chicken but she’s managed to make it incredibly delicious, too! Her secret? Coating the chicken in a rich mustard sauce! Sweet, savory, and made with just a little tang, it helps create a bold flavor and lock in moisture. The end result? The best honey mustard chicken and Brussel sprouts recipe you’ll ever taste!
Simple Allergy-Friendly Ingredients
The secret to creating ultra-flavorful chicken is in the honey mustard marinade! Don’t worry, though, the ingredient list is kept short and sweet. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Olive Oil – Used to form the base of the marinade, locking in moisture and flavor while adding a boost of healthy omega fats!
- Lemon Juice – Used to cut through some of the heaviness of the fats for a refreshing taste and well-rounded flavor.
- Dijon Mustard – This forms the base of the flavor, creating an irresistible tang.
- Whole Grain Mustard – Used to enhance the mustard flavor and add a bit of extra texture.
- Honey – Just a drizzle helps sweeten the dish, balancing out the savory ingredients.
- Garlic – Everything tastes better with garlic!
- Chicken – Using bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs is the secret to creating the juiciest, most flavorful chicken you’ll ever taste!
- Veggies – Brussels sprouts and red onion add extra color, nutrients, and flavor, making this honey mustard chicken recipe a complete meal all on its own.
Variations and Substitutes
Feel free to mix and match your favorite ingredients and flavors to make this chicken and Brussels sprouts recipe your own! For instance, some of our favorite variations include:
- Using our quick and creamy mustard sauce recipe.
- Swapping out or adding to the vegetables with options like broccoli, kohlrabi, and cauliflower.
- Using white fish like cod or tilapia in place of chicken.
- Grilling the chicken for a smokey taste.
How to Make Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
There’s nothing better than an easy sheet pan recipe! They’re seriously lifesavers on busy days, and one bite of this honey mustard chicken is all it takes for it to become a new favorite in your dinner rotation.
- Prepare the Honey Mustard Sauce. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, mustard sauces, honey, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Coat the Chicken. Add the chicken thighs to the mustard sauce, making sure they are completely coated. Place them on a prepared baking sheet, discarding any excess sauce.
- Arrange the Ingredients. Toss the vegetables together with oil and lemon juice, and arrange them in a single layer on the baking sheet with the chicken.
- Bake. Place the pan in the oven until the chicken is golden brown and has reached an internal temperature of 165°F and the Brussels sprouts are crispy.
Tips for the Best Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
Just when you thought this honey mustard chicken recipe couldn’t get any easier to make, we’re coming in with a few extra tips and tricks to make it virtually failproof!
Marinate the Chicken. If you want to really lock in the mustard flavor, coat your chicken in the sauce, and let it marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before baking.
Arrange In a Single Layer. Be careful not to overcrowd your baking sheet. Use two, if needed. This will ensure that the chicken and veggies cook evenly and nothing burns or underbakes.
Don’t Overbake. Depending on the size and thickness of your chicken thighs, they may take more or less time to cook. So, be sure to keep a close eye on your oven, and remove the chicken as soon as it is fully cooked.
If you’re looking for a low-carb meal, feel free to serve this honey mustard chicken and Brussel sprouts recipe on its own. Or, for a complete spread, pair it with all your favorite sides! For example, some of our favorites include:
- Slow Cooker Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Leeks and Potatoes
- Vegan Jalapeño Chickpea Mac and Cheese
Honey Mustard Chicken Common Questions
For this recipe, it is perfectly fine to bake your chicken uncovered. However, if you feel the top is beginning to burn before the chicken is fully cooked, feel free to cover it with foil.
You’ll know your meal is done when the chicken is golden in color and has reached an internal temperature of 165°F and the Brussels sprouts are crispy.
Yes! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Nutritious Chicken Recipes
Do you have questions, feedback, or tips about this recipe? Leave a comment below with any questions or feedback you’d like to share!