How do you make a gluten free BLT? Forget the bread and bake it with eggs instead! Super easy and delicious, this Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Egg Casserole is great for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or dinner. A gluten free, grain free, and low carb recipe.
So… we’re home from New Zealand. Back to reality. Jet lagged and in need of some serious grocery shopping. Have you ever been too mentally tired to really get the “bulk” of your grocery shopping done? Ahh, guilty! I am. Hence this baked egg casserole recipe.
All you need to make a gluten free BLT casserole are a few basics ingredients. And who doesn’t love a good bacon/egg combo?
Want to know another thing I am guilty of? Well, here goes. I’m going to reheat this gluten free BLT meal for us daily until we polish it off. Then we will move to gluten free PB &J sandwiches and smoothies. But then I promise to get some REAL grocery shopping done and send the Kiwi to Costco! I think that’s the only thing he missed while in New Zealand… Costco.
But back to this dish. Bacon… Lettuce… Tomato. Wait, how can you bake lettuce? I’ll let you in on a little secret. I frozen some mixed herbs and greens before I left. Now all you have to do it sauté them a bit with the bacon before adding it the to egg mix. See, told you I was frugal. But it totally works, and you don’t have to waste a thing!
The good news is that FRESH greens works too. I’m sure they are even better, but I like i mentioned before, I just used what I had on hand and/or frozen. Not too shabby eh?
This gluten free BLT casserole recipe really is amazing!Print
- 1 cup cooked cauliflower “rice” or chopped potato (or white rice works too)
- 4 strips GF uncured bacon
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup cream or non dairy milk
- 1 /4 cup chopped onion or green onion
- 1 large tomato, sliced.
- 1 -2 handful of greens like arugula or spinach
- 1/4 c potato starch or arrowroot
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic seasoning
- dash of black pepper
- First chop you bacon and sauté with greens and onions until almost all cooked. Do not over cook. Set aside. In another bowl, add in your egg and beat or mix until fluffy. Add in your spices, cream,and starch to the egg mix and beat or mix again.
- Combine your potato or rice mix with the bacon and veggies, toss together, then spread on casserole dish. Pour egg mixture over top and layer the tomato slices on top of that along with your parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with any extra spices you desire, such as black pepper.
- Bake at 350F for about 22-25 minutes. check at 20 minutes to make sure it’s not overcooking.
Vegetarians can easily use Tempeh or tofu bacon vs the real bacon.
Okay okay, let’s pretend it’s Friday and make this for Brinner! Deal?
What’s the first thing you make when you get home from being out of town?
I’m sure most will say salad, but dang… we just can’t get enough eggs and bacon.