I thought about titling this post. .. “How to save money on gas and food.” Or “How start riding your bike more.” Or “How to use real food to fuel your long rides, runs, training.” The fact is, they all fit! Now, I guess I better explain why.
Over the holiday weekend our car died again. And when I say again, I mean for the 4th time. I laughed and even videoed it on snapchat. It’s always better to lighten the mood, right? But then after towing our truck and figuring out how much it was going to cost (again) to fix it, we cried. Okay, not really, but we did have that “oh crap!” moment.
That was until we figured we out a plan!
You see, here’s the thing, my husband (aka the kiwi) is pretty darn good at staying positive and he’s pretty darn good at being able to ride a bike. Praise the Lord!
And if there’s one thing that I’m good at, it’s being able to budget food but still make it good and healthy for us/you. My God given talent here ya’ll!
That being said, my husband has been up at 4:45 to ride his bike to coach swimming then to his other job. He’s getting fitter by the day! I, on the other hand, have been supplying the snacks and fuel. Frugal fuel that is.
Hence this recipe! Homemade “Uncrustables.” The gluten free baked version! Which we also like to call “quick crusts.”
It’s budget friendly. It’s gluten free, but you don’t have to make it gluten free. It’s pretty darn tasty. It’s kid friendly and great for school lunches. It makes great real food fuel for long rides, snacks between meals, lunch and/or breakfast on the go, and even post workout refuel.
Oh, and it put’s Smuckers Uncrustables to shame. Well… in my not so humble opinion. Nothing against Smuckers, but I just prefer simple wholesome ingredients and homemade. Now, let’s get to the easy peasy homemade recipe.
Before you bake, you will need soft gluten free bread (or other soft bread of choice) and a wine glass to cut our your crusts. Note: Paleo bread will work too (I tried it) but you need to bake it longer.Print
Homemade Baked Gluten Free “Uncrustables”
- 4 pieces soft gluten free bread
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam/preserves or fresh sliced strawberries
- 2 tbsp cream cheese or vegan cream cheese
- Butter or coconut oil
(See post for customizable filling ideas)
- First layout your bread and place a glass top over each piece until you get pull out a nice circular piece.
- See pictures above for this demonstration.
- Coat one side of each piece with a 1/2 tsp or so with butter or coconut oil
- Place your filling in the middle and place other circular piece of bread on top.
- Wet your hands a little bit and then press the two pieces of bread together and pinch the edges together.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or so at 350F.
see vegan and other food combos below. You will need to find a soft bread for this. I used gluten free white bread. I’ve also tried it with paleo bread and it works well but had to bake longer.
Save the crusts for a casserole filling.
Other healthy uncrustable sandwich fillings to try!
- Raspberry Or Strawberry Preserves with Cream Cheese or Dairy Free Cream Cheese – As seen above. This is great for breakfast, post workout fuel, lunches, etc.
- Nut Butter, Banana, Honey – Great for grab and go fuel. Long rides, runs, between activities/sports, lunches, etc. (Vegan friendly)
- Cheese and apple or fig – A sweet savory combo great for post workout, lunches, snacks, rides, etc.
- Black Bean and hummus – Definitely a great vegan snack/lunch option or post workout fuel. Great source of fiber and protein!
- Dates and Peanut butter – Great for fuel or breakfast on the go, in your pocket, snacks, vegan friendly, and kid friendly
So many more options! Be sure to always combine two or more REAL FOOD ingredients that will bind together well before baking.
Bonus points — The sweet versions of these uncrustables freeze well. Plus you can save the crusts to make Hatch Green Chili Bake! I’ve done that twice already. Never waste food, right?
So that’s my story. How gluten free homemade “Uncrustables” came about. All because our car broke down and we decided to make a plan!
Live, learn, adjust, eat, sleep, repeat. Or something like that, right?
Cheers to Weekend! And if you see my husband out there riding, hand him some lemonade.
Favorite sandwich filling?
But wait, there’s more! This recipe is part of our 10 BEST OF FOOD ALLERGY FRIENDLY LUNCH BOX IDEAS.
Head on over to the page to check out more recipes!