Spring vegetables are a beautiful and healthy addition to gluten free grilled toast! Spring vegetables salad open faced sandwiches feature chargrilled gluten free sourdough topped with herbed cream cheese, garlicky baked kale, spring vegetables, with creamy spring onion dressing drizzled on top. Dairy Free option.
Don’t hate me, but today, in Utah, it’s going to be 60F. Which actually feels like 70F. I know, most of you have snow on your porches and are coveting a big bowl of chili. I do not envy you. Well, maybe the chili part. Make it this chili and I’m so there!
Anywayzzzz…. Let’s talk Spring and how these open faced sandwiches came about. Mmm k?
You see, once or twice a month I work all through the weekend. And when I say work, I mean I get myself in the kitchen and work on filling up my creativity bucket. You have one, right? Haha!
This means I FREELY cook, create, and photoshoot a recipe that’s been on my mind or in my heart. Yep, I am corny like that. But you see, if I do this on a weekend, I have no pressure to jump on social media or respond to emails. I can spend all day doing what I love and not look at a screen. Well, besides a camera screen. It’s so REFRESHING!
But you know what else happens when I do this? I feel mentally re-energized and more gluten free recipes and ideas just pop into my head! Perfect for share with you all too! Then, after a day of no stress, no time limit recipe creating, I get to enjoy and share the fruits of my labor. I share the recipe with friends and neighbors. I get their feedback and then catch up with them. You see what I am saying here? Food IS LOVE! Real food is MENTAL and EMOTIONAL nourishment. Gah, love that!
So today, I present you with my weekend recipe shenanigans. A dressed up opened faced sandwich focusing on ….
Healthy Spring Vegetables!
The creamy spring onion dressing alone with make you want to marry it! This was a quote said from a friend after she took a bite. No lie! Thank you Hannah.
What will make you marry this deliciousness? Oh I gotcha covered. Here I go with my over explanation of good food!
- Gluten Free Chargrilled Sourdough Bread (I found a gluten free brand I love!) But you can use any good gluten free bread that’s “grill-able”
- Herbed Cream Cheese (I tried out this vegan cream cheese and drooled all over myself.) Okay I might have paid $10 but so worth it!
- Crispy Baked Kale – Chopped and bake with garlic powder! Loads of Vitamin K and Iron!
- Fresh sliced radish- Radishes offer a peppery, satisfying crunch with every bite! Plus did you know they detoxifying agents called indoles? Yep. Spring Detox anyone?
- Fresh Spring peas – They add a little sweetness and a boost of plant based iron and protein.
- Chopped Green Onions
- Microgreens or sprouts – to boost the anti-oxidant level!
- Lemon – Vitamin C to help absorb the iron from the peas. And they enhance flavor.
- Creamy homemade spring onion dressing (super quick and easy to make!).
- Peppercorns to top, plus extra crunch.
Okay enough gushing over salad and veggies.
Let’s Dress up these Gluten Free Sourdough Toasts
Dressed Up Spring Salad Open Faced Sandwiches
For the Gluten Free Sourdough Toasts:
- 5-6 gluten free (large) sourdough bread slices (or 10 small pieces)
- 1-2 cups chopped kale or shaved Brussels sprouts
- Garlic Powder and Sea salt to taste
For the Homemade Spring Onion Creamy Dressing:
- 1/2 cup cream (heavy cream, coconut cream/milk, or plain almond milk)
- 1 green onion, chopped with stem removed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of paprika
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
Toppings and Spread :
- Herb cream cheese (love this vegan cream cheese for dairy free option)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup green peas or spring peas (cooked, thawed)
- Sliced lemon (1/2 of a small lemon)
- Micro-greens or sprouts
- Sea salt and peppercorns to top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter the slices of gluten free sourdough bread (or regular GF bread) and place on a baking sheet; set aside.
- Next place chopped kale in a bowl and toss with a pinch of sea salt and garlic powder.
- Place chopped kale on an oiled baking sheet. Place in oven for about 10-15 minutes or until the kale looks crispy.
- While the kale is baking, go ahead and heat your grill pan on the stove top on medium high (see notes for grill instructions). Place your buttered sourdough slices onto the grill pan 2-3 pieces at a time.
- Grill each side of sourdough bread 3-5 minutes or until you see grill lines and the bread is toasted.
- Repeat to make 5-6 large toasts or 10 smaller pieces of toast. Once all the toasts are done, set them back on the baking sheet.
To Make Spring Onion Dressing:
- Remove stem from green onion and then chop green onion.
- Whisk with remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place the dressing in a glass container. You will have extra to save for later uses.
How to Assemble the Open-Faced Grilled Sandwiches:
- Smear 1/2 - 1 tbsp of the herb cream cheese on each toast.
- Layer the sliced radish on top.
- Add crispy garlicky kale.
- Finish with garnishes: cooked peas, sliced lemon, microgreens or sprouts, sea salt and pepper corns on top.
- Drizzle with the spring onion dressing.
You will have leftover dressing to keep for other uses. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
Place buttered toast on oiled grill at 400F. Grill each side for 3-5 minutes. Make sure the grill is oiled or you use foil to prevent bread from sticking.
Nutrition Varies depending on the bread you use. Feel free to email me for exact nutrition.
Estimated Nutrition if you are using large Gluten free Sourdough Toast (per slice)
Calories 150-160 Total Fat 2-3 g Saturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 5.5mg Sodium 230mg Carbohydrate 25-27g Fiber 2.5g Sugars 3 g Protein 2g Vitamin C 17.7mg
The Homemade Spring Onion Dressing makes 1/2 to 2/3 cup. Estimated Nutrition using real cream is for 1 tbsp.
Calories 50-55 Total Fat 3-4g Saturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 4.3mg Sodium 14 mg Carbohydrate 1.5g Fiber 0.2g Sugars 1.g Protein 0.5g
© Cotter Crunch All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any text or images without prior permission.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you try this recipe! I'd love to see it and share it!" Tag me on IG @cottercrunchor hashtag #cottercrunch
What are your favorite Spring Vegetables? Is that like the nerdiest question ever? Probably, but I don’t care. I want to know! Let’s make SPRING veggies shine this month.
CANNOT WAIT to share this month’s meal plan. It involves a challenge, a giveaway, and SUPERFOOD awesomeness!