Open faced sandwiches made with spring vegetables are a beautiful and healthy addition to your summer lunch! These gluten free sandwiches feature chargrilled gluten free sourdough topped with herbed cream cheese, garlicky baked kale, spring vegetables, with creamy spring onion dressing drizzled on top. Dairy Free option.
Don’t hate me, but today, in Utah, it’s going to be 60F. Which actually feels like 70F. I know, most of you have snow on your porches and are coveting a big bowl of chili. I do not envy you. Well, maybe the chili part. Make it this chili and I’m so there!
Anywayzzzz…. Let’s talk Spring and how these open faced sandwiches came about. Mmm k?
You see, once or twice a month I work all through the weekend. And when I say work, I mean I get myself in the kitchen and work on filling up my creativity bucket. You have one, right? Haha!
This means I FREELY cook, create, and photoshoot a recipe that’s been on my mind or in my heart. Yep, I am corny like that. But you see, if I do this on a weekend, I have no pressure to jump on social media or respond to emails. I can spend all day doing what I love and not look at a screen. Well, besides a camera screen. It’s so REFRESHING!
But you know what else happens when I do this? I feel mentally re-energized and more gluten free recipes and ideas just pop into my head! Perfect for share with you all too! Then, after a day of no stress, no time limit recipe creating, I get to enjoy and share the fruits of my labor. I share the recipe with friends and neighbors. I get their feedback and then catch up with them. You see what I am saying here? Food IS LOVE! Real food is MENTAL and EMOTIONAL nourishment. Gah, love that!
So today, I present you with my weekend recipe shenanigans. A dressed up opened faced sandwich focusing on ….
Healthy Spring Vegetables!
The creamy spring onion dressing alone with make you want to marry it! This was a quote said from a friend after she took a bite. No lie! Thank you Hannah.
What will make you marry this deliciousness? Oh I gotcha covered. Here I go with my over explanation of good food!
Ingredients in a Spring Vegetables Sandwich:
- Gluten Free Chargrilled Sourdough Bread (I found a gluten free brand I love!) But you can use any good gluten free bread that’s “grill-able”
- Herbed Cream Cheese (I tried out this vegan cream cheese and drooled all over myself.) Okay I might have paid $10 but so worth it!
- Crispy Baked Kale – Chopped and bake with garlic powder! Loads of Vitamin K and Iron!
- Fresh sliced radish- Radishes offer a peppery, satisfying crunch with every bite! Plus did you know they detoxifying agents called indoles? Yep. Spring Detox anyone?
- Fresh Spring peas – They add a little sweetness and a boost of plant based iron and protein.
- Chopped Green Onions
- Microgreens or sprouts – to boost the anti-oxidant level!
- Lemon – Vitamin C to help absorb the iron from the peas. And they enhance flavor.
- Creamy homemade spring onion dressing (super quick and easy to make!).
- Peppercorns to top, plus extra crunch.
Okay enough gushing over spring vegetables, salad, and veggies.
How to Dress Up Gluten Free Open Faced SandwichesPrint
What are your favorite spring vegetables? Is that like the nerdiest question ever? Probably, but I don’t care. I want to know! Let’s make SPRING veggies shine this month.
CANNOT WAIT to share this month’s meal plan. It involves a challenge, a giveaway, and SUPERFOOD awesomeness!
MORE HEALTHY SPRING SALAD RECIPES HERE!
This recipe is part of our fave Healthy Spring Salad Recipes collection. Check it out!