This foil packet potatoes dinner is gluten-free, Paleo-friendly and vegetarian. Easy to make with little clean-up and seasoned with curry spices, it has simple, real food ingredients and is great for breakfast, brunch or dinner.
This post is sponsored by KitchenAid. I am grateful for the opportunity to use amazing KitchenAid appliances in my studio kitchen, and in this foil packet recipe!
Hey friends! I’ve been excited to share this newly updated post with you! It’s one of my favorite, EASY Whole30 recipes that’s become a crowd favorite. Well, at least for those who like eggs! Not to worry if you can’t eat eggs, I have other options! More on that in the recipe card. But first, let’s chat foil packet meals! A.k.a. life made easy meals. 🙌
Foil packet potatoes are a complete vegetarian meal you can easily make using the new KitchenAid Smart Oven+ with grill attachment. With this revolutionary appliance, you can get that fantastic grilled flavor all year round, l right in the comfort of your kitchen.
Speaking of revolutionary…
YOU ONLY NEED 4 INGREDIENTS👇🏻
- Potatoes (any kind)
- Olive oil
- Spice mix
- Eggs (See recipe card for other protein.)
- Okay and one more optional ingredient – A topping of your choice (cheese or herbs will do!)
We’ve used a curry spice mix to season the potatoes, but you can literally use any spice mix you prefer. SPICES are life! Oh wait, I mean variety is the spice of life! 😉
Let’s chat about curry spice and what gives it that GOLDEN hue: turmeric!
What are the benefits of turmeric in curry spices?
Turmeric contains an active compound called curcumin. This compound is one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory agents and has antioxidant effects. These antioxidants can help fight free radicals that build up oxidative damage to our muscles when we exercise or are stressed.
We need a powerful antioxidant to help combat and protect our system. Turmeric not only neutralizes free radicals on its own, it also helps to increase the body’s own antioxidant enzymes.
Now, pair that with the plant antioxidants in potatoes, more antioxidants found in the amino acids of an egg yolk, and this meal becomes a powerhouse of antioxidants in foil packs. Not to mention macro balanced with healthy fats, real food carbs, and protein!
How do you cook foil packet potatoes and eggs in the KitchenAid Smart Oven+?
RECIPE VIDEO TUTORIAL
The KitchenAid Smart Oven+ opens up new possibilities for cooking with its versatile and interchangeable attachments, like the glazed ceramic baking stone, steamer and grill attachment.* For the foil packet potatoes, For this recipe, the grill attachment is magical. Because of the advanced technology and connectivity that comes with the appliance, you can control every aspect of cooking through your phone with the KitchenAid mobile app..
One of the great things about foil packet potato meals is that you just keep filling packets until you have enough to serve everyone. They are each a single serving, so in about 40 minutes, you can make foil packets in the oven. As a result, it will provide a vegetarian, paleo-friendly, gluten-free meal for as many people as you can fit around your table.
How to make foil packet potatoes and eggs
- Slice potatoes and toss them with olive oil and seasonings. (Use about a cup of potatoes for each foil packet)
- Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes. (the potatoes will not be fully cooked yet)
- Layer cooked potatoes in the foil packs.
- Crack an egg on the top of each foil packet of potatoes.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.
Foil packets are an easy way to cook any kind of food completely without burning it, especially when grilling. The foil conducts heat well and protects the food from high temperatures.
How to make the aluminum foil packets
- Use an 8”x8” or 9”x9” piece of foil
- Bring two edges of the foil together and fold it about one inch down. Continue to fold down one inch at a time until it touches the potatoes.
- Fold the opposite ends into triangles to seal the contents into the foil packet.
See FULL recipe below for this 40 minute foil packet dinner!Print
Curry spiced foil packet potatoes and eggs is a gluten free, Paleo, healthy grilling recipe (or oven) for breakfast or dinner. Make this vegetarian recipe tonight!
- 4 cups (around 1 lb) of sliced golden or red potatoes (or diced sweet potato can be substituted). See notes.
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)
- 1/2 tsp curry powder seasoning with turmeric
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and black pepper each
- 4 large eggs
- optional topping – salsa, avocado, red pepper flakes, fresh herbs, parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice your potatoes and toss them with olive oil and your seasonings.
- Place about 1 cup of potatoes on grill or baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes or grill at 450F, turning potatoes once, half way through cooking. (the potatoes should be tender but not overcooked). While potatoes are baking, make your foil packets and place on a baking sheet.
- Once potatoes are grilled or baked, place 1 cup of cooked potatoes into each foil packet.
- Crack an egg on top of each foil pack.
- Place sheet pan back in oven for about 8-10 minutes or until yolks look firm but not overcooked.
- Remove and garnish with any extra toppings of choice; herbs, avocado, salsa, cheese, or dressing of choice.
- You can freeze these packs for up to 2 months then reheat in oven. The egg yolk will harden but taste is still delicious!
Can’t eat eggs? No prob, substitute egg with pre-cooked chicken, chicken sausage, feta or mozzarella, or chickpeas.
Omit cheese for whole 30 option.
Note – Eight to 10 small new red or gold potatoes equal one pound.
- Category: breakfast/dinner
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american/indian
- Serving Size: 1 foil packet without topping
Keywords: foil packet potatoes, potatoes dinner, eggs, healthy grilling recipe
That’s it, my friends! Now all we need are some campfire s’mores. Gluten-free of course. 😉
Ever tried making foil packet meals on the grill or oven? Now’s the time! 🙌
*Grill ships with oven. Connect, call, or register to get baking stone and steamer by mail at no additional cost. Allow 10-15 days for delivery. Visit Kitchenaid.com for full details.