These vegan sandwiches are a nutritious lunch idea for kids and adults. All 3 of these recipes are gluten free, dairy free and rich in plant based protein! Of course, with kid-friendly flavors too!
Disclosure – We are grateful to be partnering with Little Northern Bakehouse on this post. Thank you for supporting the brands that allow me to create wholesome gluten free and vegan recipes
Wow, these past several months have taken the world for a wild ride, am I right? The upcoming school year is sure to be quite different for most, if not all of us.
If kids won’t be in a traditional school setting the way they’re used to, chances are that parents will be on a different schedule as well. So, the last thing anyone should have to worry about is making sure that there’s a nourishing lunch for everyone to eat.
That’s why I’ve teamed up with Little Northern Bakehouse to bring you some super quick and easy lunch ideas. Each of these sandwiches is full of plant-based protein to keep the energy levels where they need to be.
Even better, you need just a few simple ingredients to make these vegan sandwich recipes, and most of what you need may already be in your pantry!
To keep things peanut free for those who are going back to a classroom, there’s even a nut free sandwich option.
Bread options for vegan sandwiches
Wide Slice loaves for the perfect wholesome sandwich or toast.
This bread is available in white or whole grain. Of course, to keep things kid-friendly, we’re using the white bread. It’s really soft and delicious yet still rich in fiber!
Little Northern makes the bread using brown rice, psyllium husk (for some healthy fiber), and a gluten-free flour blend.
I like to use the extra wide slices for making things like avocado toast, too. More surface area to hold all the deliciousness!
Hot Dog Buns, which also make great HOAGIE buns!
If anyone ever tries to convince you that hot dog buns are unhealthy, you should send them a bag of the Little Northern buns. SERIOUSLY… you have my full support.
Not only are the buns healthy, but they’re also seriously delicious. They’re made with millet and chia seed for a little bit of chewy protein, but amazingly, the overall texture is really smooth.
Yes, the buns are the perfect size for making hoagies. You’ll have just enough bread to hold the chickpea avocado salad in, but you won’t feel like all you’re eating is bread.
Bagels, because bagel sandwiches are life changing!
If you’re indecisive about what your favorite bagel flavor is, you may have a small problem with this product.
Leave it to Little Northern to make their gluten-free, plant-based bagels in the FOUR flavors that I like the most. I absolutely couldn’t decide which one to use first!
They come in plain, blueberry, cinnamon raisin, and EVERYTHING bagel flavors. Because I wanted to make a bagel sandwich using everything green, the obvious bagel choice was also, EVERYTHING.
LUNCH BOX vegan sandwich ideas
The idea behind the vegan sandwiches is to make them healthy and nourishing, but also, with fun flavors that kids will eat.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Note: We’ve highlighted the ingredients rich in plant based protein for your convenience. YAY!
Smashed Chickpea Avocado Salad Hoagies
- gluten free hot dog buns
- canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained (Rich in fiber, plant based iron, and protein!)
- avocado – if you’re in a pinch and can’t find ripe avocado, you can use guacamole
- lemon juice
- olive oil, or any other neutral flavor cooking oil.
- minced garlic
- cumin – if you’re out of cumin, coriander, chili powder, or even taco seasoning will work.
- salt and black pepper
- leafy greens
- diced tomato or chunky fresh salsa
- Optional garnish: chopped cilantro or parsley
Everything Green Bagel Sandwich
- Little Northern plain or everything bagels
- Everything seasoning – you can find this seasoning blend in the spice aisle of just about every grocery store. If you can’t find it, you can make homemade everything seasoning.
- hummus – if you don’t have a favorite brand, make my vegan white bean hummus; you won’t regret it! Chickpeas + Tahini = (a great source of plant based protein!)
- green olives – black olives will work as well; just be sure to buy olives without pits
- cucumber slices – for extra fiber and minerals, don’t peel the cucumber
- bell pepper slices – use your favorite color. TIP: Kids LOVE pretty colors, so consider using yellow to throw in a pop of fun color to the green goodies in the vegan sandwich.
- sprouts or microgreens
- fresh basil
- salt and black pepper
Sweet Strawberry Nut (or Seed) Butter Toast
These are open-face vegan sandwiches, with roasted strawberries and almond butter or sunflower seed butter. Roasting the strawberries is optional, but the amazing taste is worth the time!
- Little Northern wide-slice bread
- agave syrup – maple syrup is another good vegan option
- ground cinnamon
- almond butter – for a nut free option, go with sunflower seed butter. Both nut and seed butter are rich in protein and vitamin E (anti-oxidants)
- strawberry slices
- fresh mint leaves
Meal prepping and assembling the sandwiches
This is beyond easy to do!
- HOAGIE – For meal prep, make the avocado mash 1 day ahead and store in a small container in the fridge. Add to hoagie sandwiches when ready to plate/eat.
- BAGEL – For meal prep, the hummus mix may be made 1 -2 days ahead, stored in a small container in the fridge.
- TOAST – For meal prep, you can easily make this sandwich as-is a day ahead. If you want to keep the strawberries fresher for longer, wash them in a vinegar bath first! I have full instructions on how to do that, along with other food saving tips, here.
Alright my friends, I think we’re fueled and ready to tackle the school year, please let me know if you have any questions about these recipes. We’re always here to help!