Made with fresh ingredients these 3 easy Mason Jar Salad Recipes are full of vitamins, healthy fats, and flavor to satisfy all your meal prep needs. Make them ahead of time for easy on-the-go lunches perfect for school, the office, and more! Vegetarian and dairy free options.
Welcome to Salad week! We’re kickin’ things off with this fantastic meal prep salad recipe sponsored by the awesome Mariani Family and their new Salad Toppers. Thank you for supporting the brands that help me to create delicious gluten-free recipes like this one for you! Full disclosure and privacy terms here.
The Secret to Incredibly Tasty Salads
Y’all know I love a good salad. After all, what’s more refreshing than a wholesome bowl of greens topped with a hearty protein and nutritious fruit and vegetables, especially in the summertime heat? Plus, with recipes like Blueberry Broccoli Salad, this Curried Chicken Salad with Spicy Mango Chutney, and Strawberry Spinach Salad with Granola Croutons, you can easily find an exciting salad option for every day of the week.
In fact, to make my life easier, I love tossing them into mason jars for a healthy salad to-go! It’s the easiest meal prep ever, especially when I use pre-made toppers like the Mariani mixes. They come in 5 different flavor combinations including Sweet & Tangy, Nuts & Cherries, Hawaiian BBQ, Spicy Apricot, and Smoky Southwest to satisfy all your cravings. All you have to do is toss them on top of a bed of greens, and you’ve got yourself a healthy salad full of nutritious fats, vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants.
However, to help you get started, I’m giving you not 1 but 3 recipes for mason jar salads that are kid-friendly and ready in minutes!
Salad Toppers for More than Just Salads
The first of its kind, the Mariani Toppers are created with a wide variety of flavorful ingredients such as nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and spices. Not to mention, they’re all dairy-free, gluten-free, and plant-based to fit a wide variety of dietary needs! For today’s recipes, I’ve used the Toppers in 3 different salads, but they’re also great added to soups, appetizers, oatmeal, and ice cream. You can even eat them on their own for a perfect travel-friendly snack thanks to the resealable packaging.
More than Dried Fruit!
While the Mariani Toppers are incredible, the history of the family-owned company is just as amazing. Family-owned and operated since 1906, the Marianis are devoted to inspiring healthy living through healthy, functional foods that support an on-the-go lifestyle. With a rich history in innovation, the Mariani family was the first to develop the largest fruit planting in the southern hemisphere, the first company to introduce pitted plums, the first to introduce the use of probiotics in the dried fruit industry, and more. Now, they’re taking on another first by introducing their Toppers as well as other products!
Handy Tips for Assembly Mason Jar Salads
It’s all about the salad layers, and the right mason jar!
Don’t get me wrong, the ingredients are important, but the real secret to creating the perfect on-the-go salad recipe is all in the assembly. To make sure you utilize the best techniques for the perfect salad, I’m giving away a few of my tips below!
- Make sure you are using a mason jar that is wide enough and big enough to fit all the ingredients. You want to make sure nothing gets crammed! I like to use these 26 ounce Weck canning jars.
- Layer the heaviest ingredients at the bottom. Ex: Protein, Cheese, Egg, etc.
- Add the delicate items last. For the best results, wait until you’re ready to go to add items like avocado or apple slices that may turn brown or mushy once sliced.
- To keep the produce fresh, add sliced lemon or lime to the salad jars! Place them either in-between ingredients or on top.
- Keep the dressing on the side until ready to eat! I like to portion out the dressing in small resealable containers. Then, just grab the dressing I want for the chosen salad.
- Lastly, don’t shake the salad jar until ready to eat. Trust me on this. Then, when ready to eat, add the dressing, the salad toppers of choice, close the jar, give it a good “shake shake shake” and flip it over into a bowl. VOILA! Salad is ready!
Onto the Salad Choices!
I’ve kept each recipe as simple as possible while providing a well-rounded meal that will keep you full and satisfied for hours. Take a look below to find your favorite recipe and learn how to make mason jar salads.
Strawberry Caprese Salad Jars (Vegetarian)
Made with simple, fresh ingredients and Mariani’s Sweet and Tangy Salad Toppers, this recipe is rich in vitamin C, plant-based iron and protein. Making it perfect for all your vegetarian needs! It’s filling all on its own as a fueling snack or light lunch. Or, if you want to bulk it up even more, try topping it with tempeh, chicken, or even grilled shrimp. Have fun experimenting with different add-ins or toppers. However, for the base you’ll need:
- Strawberries – Strawberries are rich in vitamins and antioxidants to help improve heart health, blood sugar regulation, and prevent cancer.
- Fresh Mozzarella – Mozzarella is a great source of biotin, potassium, and zinc just to name a few and can help boost your immune system. It’s also a great source of protein for vegetarians.
- Spinach – Packed full of fiber and nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin K, and iron, spinach is a nutritional powerhouse that can help improve eye health, regulate blood pressure, and reduce oxidative stress.
- Basil & Sprouts – Both basil and sprouts can be included in a healthy diet to reduce inflammation and boost immunity!
- Sweet & Tangy Topper – This mix is a tantalizing blend of dried cranberries, honey roasted almonds, and dried blueberries to help satisfy your fruit craving.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil is high in monounsaturated fats and contains antioxidants both of which help prevent heart disease, fight Alzheimer’s disease, and more.
Southwest Chicken Salad (High Protein + Dairy Free)
Looking for family-friendly meal prep salad recipes even the kids will love? No worries. I’ve got you covered with this Southwest Chicken Salad! Not only is it super pretty and definitely Instagramable thanks to the wide variety of fresh produce, but it’s also low carb and high in protein making it perfect for everything from a packed lunch to a post-workout snack, or easy dinner! Plus, thanks to the Southwest Salad Toppers, there’s just a hint of sweetness to satisfy all your cravings. Even better, all you have to do is layer the following ingredients, and you’re done!
- Shredded Chicken – A good source of protein, including chicken in your diet can help maintain a healthy weight and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Red Onion – Red onions contain antioxidants that help fight inflammation and reduce cholesterol levels.
- Tomatoes – Tomatoes are a significant source of lycopene, an antioxidant as well as vitamins K, C, folate, and potassium that can reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, and more.
- Bell Peppers – Bell peppers are high in vitamin C, folate, and potassium. As a result, they can help improve eye health and prevent anemia.
- Avocado – Avocados are loaded with healthy fats, fiber, and nutrients including vitamin K, folate, and potassium. Not only do they provide health benefits such as lowered cholesterol levels and regulated digestion, they also help the body absorb nutrients from other foods!
Nutrition Tip: Avocados contain more potassium than bananas!
- Cilantro – Also known as coriander, cilantro is full of antioxidants to help boost immunity, promote brain health, and regulate digestion.
- Smoky Southwest Topper – These Toppers are a blend of cranberries, nuts, and seeds to add a nice crunch and delicious flavor while also providing fiber, healthy fats, and more to keep you satisfied!
- Spicy Ranch – This homemade dairy free Ranch recipe is made with healthy fats and fresh herbs and spices to add tons of flavor while also boosting immunity!
Chickpea Chopped Salad (Vegan Option)
You didn’t think I would leave you hanging without a plant-based option, did you? Of course not! All you have to do is remove the egg and cheese from this Chickpea Chopped Salad, and you’ve got yourself a delicious vegan salad full of fiber and nutrients. The Nut & Cherries Toppers add the perfect element of sweetness without going overboard and balance out the otherwise savory flavors to create a tasty combination. To get started, you’ll need:
- Chickpeas – An excellent source of plant-based protein and fiber, chickpeas help regulate digestion, improve blood sugar levels, and protect against chronic diseases.
- Optional Hard Boiled Egg – Eggs contain traces of nearly every nutrient humans need! A great source of protein and healthy fats, they can help raise HDL (good cholesterol) levels, prevent heart disease, and improve eye health.
- Brussels Sprouts – Brussels sprouts are a great source of fiber, vitamin C, and vitamin K. As a result, they can help fight inflammation, improve digestion, and improve blood sugar levels.
- Feta – Feta contains more calcium and phosphorus than other cheese meaning it can help improve bone density and prevent osteoarthritis.
- Celery Rib – Celery is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants such as vitamin C, beta carotene, and flavonoids. Consuming it can help fight inflammation and improve digestion.
- Apple – Apples are a great source of many nutrients including fiber, vitamin C, and polyphenols to help lower cholesterol, improve heart health, prevent cancer, and more.
- Herbs – Using fresh herbs is an easy way to help boost immunity and add flavor to any meal!
- Nut & Cherries Topper – As the name suggests, this topper contains nuts, dried cherries, and dried cranberries to add the perfect amount of sweetness to any meal without going overboard on sugar.
More of Our Favorite
Mason Jar Recipes for on-the-go Meal Prep
Making salad-to-go is as easy as 1, 2, 3 with these recipes! The only hard part is picking which one to make first. I can’t decide! So, I’d love it if you could help me out, and let me know which you’re choosing in the comments below!