These Savory Chickpea Pancakes are made with minimal ingredients for a flourless recipe that’s gluten free, high fiber, and full of plant-based protein. Paired with savory fillings, they’re perfect for breakfast, brunch, dinner, and everything in between!
- 1 1/4 cups (150 g) chickpea flour, also known as garbanzo bean flour
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 2 Tablespoons light olive oil or refined avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Refined avocado or coconut oil for the pan
- In a large bowl, whisk together chickpea flour, water, oil, salt and pepper. Let the batter sit for 15-20 minutes at room temperature.
- While the batter is sitting, heat a griddle or pancake pan to medium-high heat and add 1 Tablespoon oil. While the pan is preheating, prepare the sauteed vegetables, if using, and other fillings. Once the batter is ready and the pan is hot, spoon 1/4 cup batter into the hot pan.
- Quickly pick up the pan and rotate in a circular motion to evenly spread the batter. The batter should spread easily, if it doesn’t, thin with a little water. The thinner the pancake the easier it is to fold.
- Cook until bottoms are lightly browned and bubbles form on top, about 2 to 3 minutes. Using a thin spatula, carefully flip pancakes over and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Place pancakes on a large serving plate and repeat. The batter should make around 5 to 6 pancakes. Add more oil to the pan, if needed.
- When serving, place pancakes on a plate and put filling ingredients on half of the pancake and fold over. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
- Store cooled pancakes in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 to 2 days.
Meal Prep – Batter can be made 1 to 2 days ahead and stored in the fridge, covered.
Cooking Tips – For thinner crepe-like pancakes use 1 cup flour (120 g) vs 1 ¼ cups flour.
- Prep Time: 4
- Rest Time: 15
- Cook Time: 6 minutes per pancakes
- Category: Main
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: European
- Serving Size: 1 chickpea pancake/crepe without filling
- Calories: 139
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 18.5 mg
- Fat: 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.9 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 5.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chickpea, pancakes, healthy, vegetarian, breakfast, grain free, chickpea pancake