This vanilla mug cake recipe is a gluten free and vegan cake, perfect for breakfast or dessert. It’s a microwave cake recipe that can even be made sugar-free!
- 3–4 Tablespoons oat flour (or make your own by grinding rolled oats) or vanilla or chocolate protein powder. *See notes if using protein powder and substitutes.
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tablespoons raw sugar or sweetener of choice (xylitol for sugar-free maybe substituted)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon oil or melted refined coconut oil.
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar or apple cider vinegar (to help it rise)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons milk of choice, such as almond milk (if using pea protein use additional 1-2 Tablespoons milk)
- Add-ins and toppings: vegan chocolate chips, berries, sprinkles, coconut whip, coconut whip, peanut butter baking chips, etc. .
Oven baked option in notes
Microwave Mug cake
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl (flour or protein powder, salt, sugar, baking powder)
- Next, place oil, vinegar, and vanilla in three different spots on top of the dry mix. (see video in post)
- Pour milk over the top and gently stir. You will see a few bubbles.
- Pour this mixture into greased microwave mug or ramekin. If using pea protein or cassava flour, the batter will be thicker. Use the back of a spoon or your fingers to gently press the mixture down into the mug.
- Microwave on high in 3 intervals of 30 seconds each time, check to see if the cake is firm. If not, cook 15-20 seconds again. Total time depends on microwave power. The top should be firm to touch once cooked. Remove from microwave, let it cool a minute.
- Dig in with a spoon or flip over onto a plate . Toppings optional but a good scoop of yogurt or coconut whip is divine!
Alternative flours * Pea protein and cassava flour are thick. If you use them, you will need to gently press the mixture down into the mug with a spoon or your hands. Texture and microwave times will vary.
Oven baking option – Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes in ramekin. Check at 15 minutes for doneness. Serves 1
CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE – The ingredients you need to make the chocolate mug cake are the same as the vanilla version, with two exceptions.
- If you are using protein powder, use chocolate instead of vanilla.
- Mix in 1/2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder with the 3 tbsp protein powder or oat flour. Dark chocolate chips go on top or mix in batter.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Method: microwave
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 12.8 g
- Sodium: 45.9 mg
- Fat: 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.3 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vanilla mug cake, microwave mug cake, microwave cake