Skip the overpriced store-bought options, and make this easy vegan cheese sauce with a handful of ingredients and simple steps instead!
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, plant based butter, or 3 Tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 Tablespoons cornstarch or 2 Tablespoons (28 grams) gluten-free all-purpose flour (without thickeners or binders)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup canned coconut milk or coconut milk lite
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk (see notes for substitutes)
- 1 teaspoon bouillon (optional for flavor)
- 2 cups soy-free vegan cheese or 2/3 to 3/4 cup gluten- free nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter (or heat the oil) over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the cornstarch or flour, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir for 2 minutes on medium-low heat until the color of roux gets slightly darker in color.
- Gradually whisk in the coconut milk, non-dairy milk and optional bouillon, whisking constantly to remove the clumps. Cook over medium-low heat until the mixture starts to thicken or about 3 to 5 minutes. Note – If the mixture reaches a soft boil, remove from the heat, reduce heat to low, and return the pan to the stove. Continue to heat and stir until mixture has thickened.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the shredded cheese or nutritional yeast. Gently mix with a spatula until the cheese is melted and combined. If desired, add the optional smoked paprika and any additional seasonings.
- Store sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Substitute Tips – For a less creamy but more savory flavor, substitute non-dairy milk for vegetable broth.
Texture Tip – Use cornstarch for a thinner sauce to use in pastas and other dishes. Gluten free all purpose flour will produce a thicker sauce, perfect for dipping sauces. No matter which ingredient is chosen, the sauce will turn out well!
Storage Tips – The texture of the sauce will change and thicken once chilled. To thin it out, reheat in a saucepan and whisk in 1 to 2 Tablespoons milk or broth, if needed.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: condiment
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp (using plant based cheese)
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 281.2 mg
- Fat: 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.9 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 0.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan cheese sauce recipe, dairy free cheese sauce, nutritional yeast cheese sauce, easy veggie dip