Silky Chocolate Avocado Mousse with a Mexican Chocolate twist and cinnamon whip topping!
For the chocolate avocado mousse:
- 4 pitted dates- soaked in water (to soften) or 1/4 c maple syrup (see notes)
- 3 small avocados (ripe) or 2 larger avocados – core and skin removed
- 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder (dutch preferred)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp or less each of cayenne and chili powder (optional pinch of ground ginger)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp mexican vanilla extract or regular vanilla extract if you don’t have mexican vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut drinking milk or almond milk
For the Whipped topping (This recipe with cinnamon)
- Chilled canned coconut cream (sold portion only) or canned full fat coconut milk – feel free to use chilled heavy whipping cream if you can handle dairy
- sugar free Sweetener – swerve sweetener, stevia or xylitol are optional
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Optional dark chocolate shavings for topping
Before you begin– If you want to make the coconut cream whip, be sure to place the canned coconut cream in the fridge overnight to solidify. See notes for alternatives.
- Place dates in small bowl and cover with purified water for 30 to 60 minutes. This helps created a thick and silky texture. Discard water when done soaking. The dates help thicken the mousse. Short on time? Replace dates with maple syrup.
- Next, in a food processor or a blender, blend together avocados (sliced in half), cocoa powder, almond milk, vanilla. Pulse until creamy. Then add in your spices and pinch of sea salt.
- Pour into small cups or ramekins and refrigerate for 25 minutes or longer.
- While the chocolate avocado mousse is setting, make the whipped cream.
- To make Coconut Whipped Cream: Start with a 15 ounce can of chilled coconut cream (chilled overnight so it can solidify). Drain the water from the can and place the solid cream in a large bowl or stand mixer. Add your cinnamon spice and whip until soft peaks form. Fold in sweetener of choice.
- Store coconut whipped cream in fridge (covered) until you’re ready to serve the mousse. Short on time? Use heavy whipping cream if you can tolerate dairy or vegan whipped cream (pre-made).
- Once ready to serve, place a few spoonfuls of coconut whip on top of each chocolate avocado mousse cups. Sprinkle with dark chocolate shavings. Enjoy!
Feel free to make the mousse ahead of time. Up to 2 days before serving. Keeps well in fridge for 3-4 days max. Nutrition below based on using dates and without topping.
- Coconut Cream substitute – Use heavy whipping cream if you can tolerate dairy or vegan whipped cream (pre-made).
- Date substitute – maple syrup. But note, the dates help thicken the mousse.
- Prep Time: 1 hr
- Category: dessert
- Method: blend/no bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 13.5 g
- Sodium: 25.9 mg
- Fat: 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.9 g
- Fiber: 8.6 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chocolate, avocado, vegan, mousse, dessert, paleo, healthy, no bake, sugar free