If you love air fryer sweet potato fries make this refined sugar free dessert recipe for a healthier treat that tastes like churro fries! Also, vegan option, gluten free, and nightshade free!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- optional – 2 tsp clarified butter or plant based butter (for coating fries)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or sucanat sugar (whole cane sugar)
- 1 – 2 tbsps cinnamon (to taste)
- Sugar free (we used Swerve) powdered sugar for dusting, optional
Air Fryer Directions:
- Peel sweet potatoes, then rinse with tap water and use paper towels to pat dry. Cut lengthwise into slices, 1/2 inch thick.
- Place slices in a bowl with coconut oil and arrowroot/cornstarch and toss to coat
- Transfer to basket of air fryer and bake for 8 minutes at 370°F. After 8 minutes, gently shake the basket or use tongs to move fries around, then continue baking for another 8-10 minutes.
- After cooking, transfer fries from air fryer to a large bowl. Drizzle optional butter onto fries, add cinnamon and sugar, then toss to combine.
- Transfer sweet potato fries to serving platter and sprinkle with optional powdered sugar.
Serve with dipping sauce of choice (see notes). To store, wrap fries in foil and refrigerate. Use within 3 days. Reheat in 375°F. oven for 10-15 minutes, or until warmed through.
Oven Baked Option:
- Preheat oven to 400F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Clean, cut, and season sweet potato fries as shown in air fryer instructions, above.
- Arrange fries in single layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes, then use tongs to flip and move the fries around on the pan. Bake for additional 10- 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave on pan to cool. If desired, sprinkle with extra cinnamon or powdered sugar.
- Category: desserts
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: air fryer sweet potato fries, dessert fries, refined sugar free, gluten free, dairy free, vegan