Vegan Mushroom Meatballs in Pepper Sauce (lower carb option)
For the Mushroom Meatballs
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal + 3 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 cup roasted nuts (almond, pistachio, or toasted walnut halves work best)
- 2/3 c gluten free flour or oat flour
- 1 tbsp Oil or vegan butter for the pan
- 2/3 c chopped red onion or 1 large shallot
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1.5 tsp pre minced)
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tsp Dried parsley (see notes)
- ½ teaspoon onion salt
- 3 tbsp chopped basil
- 2–3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp gluten-free tamari soy sauce
- 2 c Red Pepper Sauce (or sauce of choice) – see notes
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a pan with parchment
- Mix your flax and water together in small bowl, set aside for 10 minutes. This creates a “flax egg.”
- If you bought raw nuts, quickly toast (dry) the nuts in a skillet on medium high for 5 minutes, mix with spoon. Transfer to bowl blender and blender until fine nut meal is formed. Combine with your flour in small bowl. Set aside.
- Rinse the skillet and reuse for sautéing mushrooms.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large pan over medium heat. Cook and stir onions until fragrant and softened, around 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned and softened. Cover and cook on medium low, mixing 1-2x for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and mix again. Set aside to cool for at least 5-10 minutes.
- Next place the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in a food processor or blender. Blend until a soft paste is formed. You might have to stop and scrape the sides a few times.
- Combine mushroom paste in the bowl with flour/nut mix. Mix in the dried herbs, nutritional yeast, tamari, paprika, onion salt, and fresh basil. Stir until combined.
- Mix in the flaxseed egg. Stir again.
- If your batter is too soft, place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Using a cookie scooper batter evenly, then roll with hands to finish. Place on lined baking sheet. Continue until you have 10-12 meatballs.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400F. Remove meatballs from oven, turn over, then place back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
- While the vegan mushroom meatballs are baking, heat your pepper sauce in a large saucepan. I like to use the same pan, so no extra mess.
- Once the meatballs are done baking, combine them in the sauce pan with the pepper Pepper Sauce or sauce of choice. Mix and keep warm until ready to serve. Serve and garnish with basil and cracked pepper.
- Substitutes – For lower carb option replace oat flour with chickpea flour. You can also substitute paprika, parsely, and onion salt with 2 tsp Italian Spice mix
- Note that the sauce recipe link takes you to the salmon and red pepper post. The sauce is in the recipe card, first.
- Category: main
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: italian american
Keywords: meatballs, vegetarian, keto, low carb, healthy, vegan, mushroom