These detox breakfast bowls are packed with antioxidants and protein to kick start your day. You’ll get a boost of energy from the dirty chai made with coconut milk! A gluten free, vegan, healthy breakfast.
Homemade Chai Mix:
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground white or black pepper
- pinch of sea salt
For the breakfast bowls:
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup cooked quinoa or other gluten free cooked grain
- 1 cup gluten free quick oats or 2/3 c rolled oats if you don’t have quick.
- 2 tbsp almonds (slivered, whole, or chopped. Plus some for topping if desired)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 10 – 14 oz non dairy milk – additional 4 oz will be for pouring over the bowl after.
- 1 tbsp organic instant coffee or Espresso (see notes).
- A sprinkle of dark chocolate shavings or Cacao Nibs
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- 2 tbsp coconut cream or yogurt of choice (vegan, greek, etc.) per bowl
- First place all your chai mixes in a bowl. Mix together.
- Next arrange your oats, quinoa, and almonds in a large bowl. Stir in your chai mix and maple syrup. Set aside.
- Heat up 12-14 ounces of non dairy milk. Stir in espresso until dissolved.
- Pour 10 ounces of the milk/espresso over the oats. More if you don’t want any espresso left for topping. I kept 3-4 ounces of the espresso latte mix to pour over each bowl once ready to eat.
- Place bowl in fridge for 2 hrs or up to 24 hrs overnight.
- Once the “detox” breakfast bowls have soaked, remove from fridge.
- Scoop 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup into bowls. Reheat bowl if desired or keep cold.
- Add a scoop of vegan yogurt or coconut cream (the thickened portion from the can of coconut milk) on top of each bowl.
- Pour 1 ounce additional milk espresso mix (latte basically) on top of each bowl to make it a “dirty chai.” Pour the brew hot or cold brew depending on personal choice. Both ways taste great!
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes, cacao nibs (or dark chocolate), and any additional almonds, spices, etc.
- This instant organic coffee can be found at whole foods.
- If you don’t have quinoa, just sub with more oats.
- You can also replace the instant coffee with cocoa (unsweetened) if you want a decaf version or for kids!
- Category: breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl without toppings
Keywords: detox breakfast, dirty chai, healthy breakfast