Vegan cupcakes with fluffy swirls of maple or vegan cream cheese frosting are delicious, nut free, and gluten free, but you would never know it! This allergy-friendly cake recipe is perfect for holiday gatherings.
- 1.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup non dairy milk (at room temp or warmed)
- 1 3/4 cups oat flour or GF flour, sifted (not the 1:1 blend – see notes)
- 2/3 cup sugar substitute or fine sugar
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or vegan butter, liquid > neutral oil may be used
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line one 12 cup muffin pans
- Combine the apple cider vinegar with 3/4 cup milk. Stir and set aside. Let stand until curdled, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, Whisk or sift together the oat flour, starch sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Next add gently warm the almond milk/apple cider. About 30-45 seconds. Just long enough so that the butter or coconut oil doesn’t harden when mixed. You may skip this if using oil
- Combine the oil and vanilla with the almond milk mixture. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until smooth. Spoon the batter into the muffins cups, filling 3/4 of the way.
- Bake in the preheated oven 18- 22 minutes. Cool in the pan set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter.
- Decorate with frosting of your choice. To create the fluffy swirls of frosting, I pipe it on from a pastry bag, using a star tip. For a touch of glittery goodness, sprinkle some raw sugar on top!
- If you use gluten free all purpose flour, check for doneness at 18 minutes. To avoid heavy, dense cake, use flour that has NO xanthan or guar gum (most 1:1 gluten free blends have it).
- The color of the cupcake batter will vary depending on the type of flour you use. Regardless of the color, they are perfectly delicious.
- Category: desserts
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan cupcakes, vegan frosting, vegan cream cheese frosting, vegan cupcake recipe, gluten free, nut free, allergy-friendly desserts