Prepare this easy roasted vegan butternut squash soup recipe with a handful of healthy ingredients and minimal steps!
- 2 cups (12 oz or 330 grams) peeled and chopped butternut squash (see notes)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced (~1/2 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon light olive oil
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter or plant based butter (see notes for sub)
- 1 cup chopped onion (~1/2 large onion)
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 fresh sprigs (leaves only)
- 1 medium heirloom tomato or Fuyu persimmon peeled and diced (1/2 cup diced) see notes for substitute
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth (the less broth, the thicker the soup)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon allspice or nutmeg, to taste
- Pinch cayenne, to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup coconut milk or coconut milk lite, see notes for substitutes
- Freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Optional Toppings – toasted nuts or seeds, roasted chickpeas, fresh herbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. In a medium-sized bowl, toss together the squash, carrot, 1 Tablespoon oil and sea salt. Spread out the mixture on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and roast for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- In a large stock pot, add 1 Tablespoon butter, onions, garlic, celery, and thyme. Cook on medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until the onions are fragrant. Add the persimmon and continue to cook for 5 minutes, coating the persimmon in the butter and onions.
- Add the broth, cumin, allspice, cayenne, and salt. Stir to combine. Bring the soup to a light boil then reduce to low heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the persimmon is tender and the soup has slightly reduced and thickened.
- Working in batches (if needed), carefully transfer the soup and the roasted squash and carrots to a high speed blender (or use an immersion blender), and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot, stir in coconut milk and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- Simmer on low for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to develop before serving and add desired toppings.
- Store the cooled soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or the freezer for up to 3 months.
Prep Tips for Slicing Squash- Lay the butternut squash on its side, using a large knife carefully slice off the top 1/2-inch (including the stem) of the squash and the bottom 1/2-inch of the squash. Discard the two end pieces. Using a vegetable peeler, peel all of the skin off and discard. Slice the squash in half down the center. Then slice each piece in half down the center vertically equaling 4 pieces of squash. Scoop out and discard the seeds and pulp. Cut the squash into 1-inch cubes. Cook the squash immediately or refrigerate it in a sealed container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Substitute Tips – Light olive oil, avocado oil, or refined coconut oil may be substituted for butter. 1/2 cup pumpkin puree may be used in place of the persimmon. Cashew milk or a plain non-dairy creamer are the best creamy non-dairy substitutes for coconut milk. If dairy is tolerated, half and half may be substituted.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 37 to 45 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: Stove Top, Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 181
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 717 mg
- Fat: 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.9 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: roasted butternut squash soup, vegan butternut soup recipe, gluten free recipe, creamy dairy free soup