Plant powered “balance bowls,” aka power bowls, buddha bowls, Macro Bowls, Quinoa Bowls, etc. are easy to make! A healthy plant based, gluten free, meal prep recipe.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 15 oz cooked black beans (canned and drained or homemade cooked black beans)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion or shallot
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil or avocado oil (extra for drizzling on top)
- 1/4 tsp Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 large carrot (spiralized or julienne cut)
- 4–5 tbsp cultured kefir yogurt cheese or sour cream. See notes for vegan option.
- Fresh Cilantro
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- Prepare quinoa and rice as instructed on package. You can use leftover rice or rice cooker for a quick version. If you need to know a stove top way to cook quinoa, I explain it in this recipe.
- Once you have cooked rice and quinoa, mix them together in a large bowl. Add a pinch of sea salt and set aside.
- Next saute diced onions with oil in a sauce pan for 2 minutes. Add beans, garlic, cumin, and cook until fragrant. Add salt/pepper last.
- Using a spiralizer, spiralize or julienne cut carrot. This should make at least 2 cups of shavings/noodles.
- Spoon all the ingredients above into 3 bowls. Add a handful of cilantro to each along with with 1 -2 tsp flaxseeds each.
- Top each bowl with 2 tbsp kefir yogurt cheese or sour cream. Drizzle with extra olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- For kefir yogurt cheese I use the Laban Brand.
- These make great meal prep bowls.
- For vegan option, you can use tofu or even non dairy plain yogurt instead of the kefir cheese. You could even try making your own vegan sour cream
- Category: main
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: power bowl, balance bowls, plant based, gluten free, meal prep