Paleo Warm Breakfast Salad
- 1 1/3 cup chopped peeled butternut squash
- 1/3 c shopped red onion or shallot
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil or butter (divided)
- 12 ounces broccoli cole slaw salad mix
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic or one garlic clove minced
- 1/4 tsp or more sea salt and black pepper each (to taste)
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 4 eggs
- red pepper flakes and cilantro to garnish
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- roasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
- First peel and chop your veggies. Slice your avocado if you don’t want to wait till the end.
- Place chopped squash in steamer on in microwave safe dish with 1 tbsp water. Steam for 2 -2.5 minutes or more. Depends on microwave power. Cook until tender but not mushy. Alternatively, roast squash on baking sheet at 425F for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove, drain water, set aside.
- In a small skillet, place 1 tbsp butter or oil.
- Heat on medium high and add your onions.
- Fry for 2 minutes or until onions start to brown a bit.
- Next add in your slaw, garlic, salt/pepper, 1 tbsp water, and balsamic vinegar.
- Mix all together in skillet.
- Cover and let cook on medium for about 2-3 minutes.
- Slaw will be slightly tender but not fully cooked.
- Remove and place in bowl.
- Add your squash and 1/3 cup berries to the bowl and toss.
- Next fry your eggs in the same skillet.
- Add another 1/2 tbsp of butter or oil on medium high heat.
- Fry until crispy on outside and yolk is orange and set. 3- 4 minutes or less depending on how you like your yolk.
- Scoop slaw onto 3-4 plates or bowls.
- Place fried egg on top of each.
- Garnish with red pepper, 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds, cilantro, and any extra salt/pepper.
- Add sliced avocado on the side.
optional – Not paleo but feel free to add in feta or goat cheese crumbles.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min