A lightened up Mayo Free Chicken Salad! A chicken salad bowl that’s perfect for a healthy meal or side dish. Spinach, roasted broccoli, berries, chickpeas, roasted chicken, and herbs tossed in a light yogurt olive oil dressing.
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken (skinless, pulled or shredded)
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 2 to 3 teaspoons melted coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon everything seasoning of choice (dried herbs, red pepper, etc.)
- 2/3 to 1 cup cultured plain Greek yogurt or kefir yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic clove or 1 teaspoon minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup chickpeas (canned or roasted)
- Garnish – 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro or parsley (torn or roughly chopped), 3 Tablespoons dried goji berries or other dried fruit of choice, lemon slices, peppercorns/fresh pepper and red pepper flakes
- Shred the cooked rotisserie chicken and set aside in a bowl.
- If desired, roast ½ pound of fresh broccoli for extra flavor or if not roasting toss all raw broccoli florets in a large bowl. When roasting, preheat the oven to 425F and toss the broccoli florets (around 2 cups) in 2 to 3 teaspoons oil and seasoning of choice. Pour onto a baking sheet and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Place the other 1/2 pound of fresh broccoli florets in a large mixing bowl.
- While broccoli is cooking, make the yogurt sauce for the chicken salad.
- Mix the yogurt, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper and onion in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Next spoon 1/2 to 2/3 cup yogurt sauce over the chicken and toss all together. Save extra yogurt sauce for the bowl.
- In a large bowl, place the spinach leaves in the bottom. Layer the roasted broccoli and/or raw broccoli, blueberries, sunflower seeds, and chickpeas on top. Toss together with the remaining yogurt sauce (dressing).
- Add the chicken salad on top of the spinach salad.
- Garnish with herbs, goji berries, lemon slices, and if desired, peppercorns and red pepper flakes.
- Serve immediately. See notes for make ahead meal prep options.
Meal Prep Tip – If making ahead of time, keep the spinach salad and chicken salad separate until ready to eat. This recipe can be stored in airtight containers for up to 5 days.
Cooking Tip – If using Greek yogurt, the mixture will be thicker. If desired, thin it out with more oil or a bit of broth or water.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 275 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 8
- Protein: 29
- Cholesterol: 53 mg
Keywords: salad, chicken, healthy, light, no mayo