This crustless sweet potato pie is impossibly easy to make- the crust forms in the oven! Make the recipe with simple ingredients for a delicious paleo dessert.
- 15 ounce can pureed sweet potato or 2 cups peeled and cooked mashed sweet potato
- 8 ounces non dairy milk (slightly warmed to mix with melted butter)
- 4 large eggs (at room temp)
- 3 ounces of melted unsalted butter (see notes for substitutes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 heaping cup of tapioca flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut or flakes
- optional chopped maple nuts and coconut whip topping
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a pie pan or cake tin with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or blender, combine your milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and butter. Add the sweet potato mash/puree and mix again until smooth. May also mix by hand if using canned sweet potato puree.
- If using a blender, transfer batter into a bowl. Note – I’ve made this with peeled cooked sweet potatoes, and the weight of baked or boiled sweet potatoes is a bit heavy.
- In another small bowl, sift together the coconut flour and tapioca flour. Whisk in the spices, salt, baking powder.
- Gently add the dry batter with the wet batter. Mix until smooth.
- Fold in about 1/2 cup or more of your coconut flakes.
- Pour into the prepared pie or cake pan and sprinkle a handful of pecans on top (optional).
- Bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, check for doneness with toothpick. If the middle doesn’t come out clean with toothpick, then rotate the pie pan, cover with foil, and bake for an additional 15 – 20 minutes. The edges will be crispy brown. (See notes for more baking times)
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before serving. The inside of the pie will have more a pumpkin pie/custard like texture once cooled.
- Slice and top with coconut whip, if desired, before serving. See notes for making ahead.
- Baking times vary depending on your oven and the type of milk you use. Keep watch after 45 minutes.
- Make ahead and storing – If you are not serving this right away, place pie in the refrigerator to set more. It will still be custard like in the middle. Place in oven to warm again before serving. The pie will not have as much height after cooling and being refrigerated, but flavor is still the same.
- Non dairy or vegan butter may be substituted.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Category: dessert/pie
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 330
- Sugar: 21.6 g
- Sodium: 160 mg
- Fat: 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 13.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.1 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5.9 g
- Cholesterol: 108.3 mg
Keywords: sweet potato pie recipe, crustless sweet potato pie, paleo, healthy Thanksgiving desserts