Multipurpose Vegan Cashew Cream Sauce that’s easy to make! Sweet, savory, thick, and creamy.
- 1 1/2 cups oragnic raw cashew or cashew halves
- purified water for soaking
- Extra purified water for blending
- Juice of 1/4 of Lemon
- Dash of sea salt (optional)
- For thinner Cashew Cream or Creamer – An additional 2-4 tbsp coconut milk, almond, or cashew milk to be added later. See notes
- Optional add -ins:
- Savory – 1/2 tsp black pepper or chili (for spicy version). 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast (for cheesy),1 garlic clove and spices such as paprika, cayenne, etc. (blended in with cashews savory sauce), onion powder and fresh or dried herbs for a creamy dressing.
- Sweet– 2 tbsp maple syrup , 1 tsp vanilla extract, and/or cinnamon/
- Protein booster and Instant thickener – 1 scoop plain Pea Protein
- Place your cashews in large bowl or jar. Cover with purified water for 6 hr to 12 hrs. The longer you soak the easier to digest. But the water will also evaporate more so your sauce will be easier to blend. See notes below for quick 10 minute version.
- After soaking, drain your water. Place cashews in a high power blender. Add 1 1/4 cup purified water, lemon juice, and blend until a creamy sauce is formed. You will need to keep stop blender a bunch and scrapping sides.
- If the sauce is too thick or gritty for your liking, add in 1/4 c to 1/2 cup more water and blend again.
- Blend until creamy.
- If you want to make it more like a milk/creamer texture, then once you’ve thinned it out the second time, add in 2-4 tbsp of non dairy milk of your choice or purified water. Blend again. Free free to add in sweetener of choice.
- See notes for more texture options.
- Optional sweet & savory add -ins : 1/2 tsp black pepper or chili (for spicy version). 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast (for cheesy), 2 tbsp maple syrup and/or 1 tsp vanilla extract (for sweet). 1 garlic clove (blended in with cashews for garlicky sauce). optional for savory sauce use broth instead of milk.
- Keeps well in fridge for a few days or I like to freeze batches for later use.
QUICK 10 MINUTE Soak/Boil option – Place raw cashews and three cups of water in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Continue boiling for 10 minutes then drain and rinse. Your nuts can then be added to the blender to continue. Adapted method from Wholefully.
Extra thick –> If you want it extra thick like a hummus or frosting, then don’t add much liquid back in. start with 1/2 to 2/3 cup water or milk.
Want to make a savory cashew cream sauce extra flavorful? Replace the water added to the blender with vegetable broth.
FOR EXTRA CREAMY – Soak at least 12 hrs or try the quick version. Be sure to use a high powered blender.
Please comment or email me if you need questions answered! Happy to help!
This sauce freezes well. So if you want to make more, just keep half in freezer until ready to serve. Thaw out in fridge overnight.
Estimated Nutrition per 1/4 cup serving of plain cashew cream sauce.
- Category: sauce
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: cashews, cashew cream, vegan, healthy, gluten free