Easy gluten free Hatch Green Chile and Tomato Casserole.
Hatch Green Chile and Tomato Casserole
- 4– 5 large pieces of gluten free bread crusts or about 2 cups cubed (I used whole grain gluten free)
- 2–3 whole medium hatch green chiles diced (roasted ) or 1.5 cups diced green chiles.
- 2 medium tomatoes ,sliced thin
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 –8 large eggs (the more you use the thicker the casserole)
- 1.5 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tsp favorite seasoning mix (I used adobe mix which includes garlic, onion, oregano, sea salt, chili pepper, and black pepper)
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro (or basil works too)
- 2 oz sliced cheese (mozzarella, provolone, or cheddar cheese work well. Non dairy cheese may be substituted)
- optional — Feel free to add in sausage or chicken for more protein
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a large casserole dish with a little cooking oil. Next lay out your crusts on the bottom. Then layer the diced green chiles, tomatoes, cheese, and 1/2 tbsp cilantro over the crusts.
- Drizzle 1-2 tbsp olive oil evenly over the layers.
- in another bowl, combine your eggs, milk, and seasoning mix. Additional salt/pepper if desired. Whisk or beat until the mixture looks uniform.
- Pour batter over the casserole dish. Add any additional veggies or cheese you’d like on top. Place in oven and bake for 35-45 minutes. (check at 30 minutes for doneness)
- Remove and garnish with the rest of your cilantro.
For the lower carb version for this Green Chile Egg casserole, click here.
it’s best to use hearty bread crusts so that it gives it more a crunch on the edges. Be sure to layer the crusts evenly on the bottom.
For more authentic hatch green chile taste, use pre roasted green chile or simply roast your own before adding to the casserole!
Nutrition depends on the bread you use and any extras.
Estimate Per Serving : 220-250 Calories 12-14 grams fat. 15-18 carbs. 7 grams sugar. 2 grams fiber. 13-14 grams protein 14% Iron 200% Vitamin C
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: mexican american
Keywords: casserole, hatch green chile, eggs, gluten free, vegetarian