Gluten Free Shrimp Pho with Miso
- 6–8 cups organic vegetable broth
- 12–16 medium shrimp (peeled)
- 2 tsp lemongrass paste or 1 stalk (chopped)
- fresh Basil leaves (4) – Preferably thai basil
- black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ginger root – minced ( can also use fresh ginger if you have it)
- 1/2 tablespoon chili garlic paste (can use regular minced garlic instead)
- 1 or 2 red chiles, sliced
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- apple juice or honey (sweetener)
- Red miso paste (1 tbsp or to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (aka green onion)
- 1 package rice noodles
- optional add in toppings- ; Chili pepper oil or sirirachi, red pepper flakes, Lime juice, cilantro
- Note -> My picture has more of a red broth because we added in a lot of extra red chili and spice! Plus the red miso.
- First, make sure your shrimp are peeled. Next, Prepare the rice noodles according to the package directions; set aside until needed.
- Next, bring the vegetable broth to a boil over medium heat in a large pot. Add in your lemongrass, basil leaves, ginger, garlic, pepper, and chiles. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. If the broth is nice and sweet/sour and spicy after 20 minutes, remove the lemongrass or basil leaves (if you are using fresh).
- One you have a nice broth flavor, add in your shrimp, sesame oil, honey or apple juice, fish sauce, and maybe 1/2 tbsp or more of miso paste. Just enough to give it a little salty flavor and herbs. Cook for about 5-8 minutes on medium until the shrimp turn pinkish. Add in your noodles and mix all together. Remove from the heat and top with fresh the lime juice, chili flakes, chili oil, and scallions. Serves about 3-4 medium bowls.