Make these gluten free cookie bars for a monster cookie-inspired dessert that’s super easy to prepare and allergy-friendly, too!
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or plant-based butter
- 1/3 cup (75 to 80 grams) creamy no-stir almond butter or other nut/seed butter
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- flax egg (1 Tablespoon flax meal mixed with 2 1/2 Tablespoons water. Rest for 10 minutes to gel.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup (115 to 120 grams) fine blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup (40 to 50 grams) gluten free oat flour or gluten free all-purpose flour without xanthan gum (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons non-dairy milk, if needed
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup dark chocolate gems (see notes)
- Optional – 1 to 2 Tablespoons gluten free rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil, almond butter, sugar, flax egg and vanilla.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, oat flour, baking soda and salt until there are no clumps.
- Working in batches, gently add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix together until combined. The batter will be thick like cookie dough. If it’s too dry, add 1 Tablespoon milk and mix again.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chocolate gems and optional gluten free rolled oats.
- Press the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and center comes out clean with a toothpick.
- Let the pan cool for 10 minutes then place the bars in the fridge to set for 10 minutes. Slice into 12 to 16 squares.
- Store the bars in an airtight container on the counter for 5 to 7 days or in the fridge for 10 to 12 days.
Storage Tips – Store the cooled bars in an airtight container or Ziploc bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Substitutes – We like these dark chocolate peanut gems and dye-free chocolate gems for more allergy-friendly “M&M” options.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 12.1 g
- Sodium: 130.7 mg
- Fat: 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.3 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0.3 mg
Keywords: gluten free cookie bars, cookie bars, cookie bar, gluten free monster cookie bars