Prepare the best gluten free chocolate chip cookies recipe with simple ingredients for a bakery-worthy cookie everyone can enjoy! Dairy-free option.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (112g) or plant based butter, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar, brown sugar or golden monk fruit sweetener (see notes for substitutes)
- 1/2 cup raw (fine) sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups (250 grams) homemade 1-1 gluten free flour blend with xanthan gum or store bought gluten free 1:1 flour with xanthan gum (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or dairy free chocolate chips
- Optional Topping- coarse sea salt or flaky sea salt
Note: This dough requires chilling.
- Place softened butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or use a large bowl and hand mixer. Beat the butter until creamy. Add coconut sugar and raw sugar and mix on low speed until the mixture is smooth (about 1 minute). Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix on medium speed until combined.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and optional cinnamon.
- Add the dry mix to the wet ingredients and mix until the batter is smooth. Don’t overmix and be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during mixing. Fold in the chocolate chips until combined. Again do not overmix.
- Shape the dough into a ball, place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge to chill for 45 minutes to 1 hour. See notes for freezing tips.
- Remove chilled dough from the fridge. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.Using a 2 Tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop cookie dough into balls and place on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Place cookies in the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and, if desired, press a few extra chocolate chips on top and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. The cookie will continue to cook so cool them on the baking sheet for a couple minutes then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Store these chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.
Baking Tips – If using a homemade flour blend the cookies will be a more crinkly soft “bakery style” cookie versus store bought flour which will produce a thicker cookie. Both styles of cookies are delicious! When removing the cookies from the oven they will look underbaked in the middle but they will continue to bake and set as they cool! This will result in a chewy and soft cookie. Over-baking will result in a crispier cookie. Still delicious but not as soft.
Meal Prep Tip – Scoop the cookie dough onto a baking sheet then freeze. Once the dough is frozen, remove the sheet from the freezer and place the frozen cookie dough into a freezer safe bag or container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months? When ready to bake dough from frozen, place dough on a prepared baking sheet and bake at 325 F for 12 to 15 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown.
Storage Tip – Store baked cookies in the freezer in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Chill Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Category: baking
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 149
- Sugar: 12.1 g
- Sodium: 56.6 mg
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.3 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 1.4 g
- Cholesterol: 17.2 mg
Keywords: gluten free chocolate chip cookies, Gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe, Gluten free chocolate chip cookies recipe, easy cookie recipe,