This Gluten Free Apple Pie is full of warm flavors and made with simple ingredients in under an hour for an easy dairy free dessert! A pie that forms its own crust while baking, saving you time in the kitchen.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 4 large eggs
- 3 Tablespoons of melted butter or refined coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup (sweetener)
- Optional – 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons sifted coconut flour
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) arrowroot flour (or tapioca flour)
- 2/3 cup coconut or raw sugar* (see notes for substitutes)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 + teaspoons ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 1 cup peeled/sliced apple (extra slices for topping ) (Pear may be substituted or mixed in with apple if desired.)
- Extra apple slices
- Glazed pecans or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8-inch or 9-inch pie pan or cake tin with parchment paper.
- Combine milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and butter in a blender (See notes). Blend the ingredients until they are smooth.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the sifted coconut flour and arrowroot starch (or tapioca flour). Then, add the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and baking powder. Mix until the ingredients are well-combined.
- Add the blended batter into the bowl with the dry batter. Stir the two together until they are smooth.
- Fold in the diced apple/pear. Fold in about 1/2 cup coconut flakes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pie or cake pan. Add the sliced apple and pecans on top.
- Bake the pie for 45- 50 minutes. Remove it from the oven, and lightly cover the top with foil.
- Place the pie back into the oven for an additional 15 -20 minutes, or until the center comes out clean with a toothpick. The edges will be crispy brown once done.
- Check the middle of the pie to make sure it’s no longer liquid. (Bake times may vary depending on your oven.)
- Remove the pie from the oven. Let it cool for 10 minutes so the center can set.
- Coconut sugar can be replaced with brown sugar or a sugar substitute
- If you don’t have a blender, you can beat all the liquid ingredients together using a stand mixer or hand held mixer. Make sure the batter is smooth.
- If you don’t have glazed nuts, simply toss the nuts in a 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup or raw sugar before adding to the top of the pie.
- Storing – If you are not serving the pie right away, cover and place it in the refrigerator to chill/set the texture. It will still have a custard-like texture in the middle.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 18 g
- Sodium: 364.8 mg
- Fat: 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 104.4 mg
Keywords: pie, paleo desserts, pear apple pie, gluten free, dairy free, apple pie