Decadent fudge brownies that are easy to make with simple ingredients. No flour needed. A dirty chai tea latte is mixed right in the batter then topped with dark chocolate espresso ganache! Rich, chocolaty flourless brownies. Gluten free, dairy free friendly and paleo friendly!
- 1 cup almond milk
- 4 chai tea bags
- 4 Tbsp clarified butter or coconut oil
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 3 tbsp fine instant coffee or instant espresso
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of cardamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Dark Chocolate Ganache:
- 2 ounces coconut milk or coconut cream (liquid)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tsp instant espresso
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of an 8×8” square baking pan with parchment paper and grease the edges. Set aside.
- In a small pot, bring your almond milk to a quick boil then steep your chai tea bags in it for 4 to 6 minutes. The longer you steep, the stronger the chai taste. Remove tea bags.
- In the same pot, add your coconut oil or butter, dark chocolate chips, and maple syrup. Heat on medium until butter and chocolate chips are mixed together with the chai latte. It should look like a creamy chocolate sauce once melted. Set aside.
- Next, in a small bowl, sift together your arrowroot starch, cocoa powder. Add your cardamon, salt, and instant espresso. Mix again and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or small bowl with handheld mixer, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla together for a few minutes. It should create a smooth caramel color. Slowly add in your chai chocolate sauce and mix on low until creamy.
- Finally, add your in arrowroot/espresso/cocoa powder mix. Mix/Beat on low until a thicker batter is formed. Scrape side if you need too.
- Pour into your 8×8 pan. Spread the batter out evenly with a spatula and place in over for 22- 27 minutes, or until the top is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- After the brownies are done and baked, set them aside to cool for 10 minutes while you make your ganache. You can make the ganache on the stove top or microwave.
For the Ganache:
- Simply melt together 2 ounces coconut milk or cream, 2 tsp espresso, cinnamon, and 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips on medium heat in sauce pan, mixing while it melts. Or microwave in 30 second increments, mixing after 30 seconds, until melted. Drizzle the ganache over brownies once melted. You will most likely have leftover ganache you can keep for future treats.
- Let it cool to set the ganache, or serve immediately. These brownies keep best in fridge or freezer.
- For those at HIGH altitude: My batch was done at 26 minutes. So be sure to check baking earlier for those at sea level.
We use paleo/vegan-friendly dark chocolate chips by Enjoy Life Foods.
- If you are looking to cut sugar, free free to use stevia in the raw to replace coconut palm sugar.
- *Arrowroot starch substitute* I have not tried these with other starches, but you could try with tapioca starch. Texture will vary.
- I made 2 batches of these brownies. One with butter and the other coconut oil. Both delicious but the coconut oil was more moist.
- For more flourless inspiration check out @runwithspoons Flourless Baking Cookbook.
Estimated Nutrition shown per brownie, WITHOUT ganache. This is using coconut oil versus butter.
If you add the ganache, they are close to 300 calories each. Feel free to LIGHTEN the sugar and calories but use xylitol sweetener in place of coconut sugar.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 18.2g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8g
- Carbohydrates: 20.7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 10g
Keywords: flourless brownies, gluten free, chocolate, paleo, dairy free