Easy Cranberry Basil Shrimp Cocktail with the best homemade cocktail sauce. Paleo and low carb!
- 1 pound medium wild caught shrimp (preferably peeled). See notes for no cook option
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 bunch basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 to 2/3 c Gluten free cocktail sauce (We love this brand) or you can make your own, see notes.
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp Lemon or lime juice juice
- 1 tsp of honey or agave
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional for more creaminess)
- Pinch of black pepper and/or peppercorns for garnishing.
- Note: want is spicy? add in 1 tbsp fresh tabasco or chili sauce.
- First, boil your shrimp. Cook the shrimp, stirring occasionally, until they turn pink, about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes for medium shrimp, 3 minutes for large ones. Drain the water and then cool the shrimp to room temperature. Devien and place in ice.
- Next make your sauce. In blender, combine your, cranberries, basil, and cocktail sauce. Blend then add in 1- 2 tsp of lemon juice, sea salt, and optional honey. Blend until smooth. If it’s not creamy enough for your liking, blend on low and slow add in 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil..For extra spicy, mix in 1-2 tsp tabasco sauce.
- Spoon sauce into bowl and garnish pepper, extra cranberries, and herbs.
- Place shrimp and veggies around the bowl and garnish platter with extra basil. Squeeze fresh lemon on top of shrimp before serving.
- Make sure to keep your shrimp on ice to keep cold. Shrimp are safe at room temperature for 2 hours but need ice to maintain freshness if left out longer.
- See notes for other uses of sauce!
- If you don’t want to cook the shrimp for shrimp cocktail, simply buy frozen precooked shrimp and thaw in bowl in refrigerator overnight. Squeeze fresh lemon on top before serving.
- For QUICK HOMEMADE COCKTAIL SAUCE simply mix together 1/2 cup of corn syrup free ketchup, 2 tablespoons fresh grated horseradish, gluten free Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp lemon juice, pinch of sea salt and black pepper each.
- I also like serving this cocktail sauce with cheese platters and gluten free crackers or veggie platter.
- Nutrition below included shrimp and sauce (2 tbsp)
Keywords: cocktail sauce, cranberry, paleo, appetizer, shrimp, healthy appetizer