Make these nut free protein balls with 6 simple ingredients for a healthy, high-protein recipe perfect for breakfasts, snacks, and desserts!
- 10 (70 grams) pitted dates, soaked in water
- 1/2 cup creamy sunflower seed butter *See notes
- 1/3 cup (55 grams) chocolate or vanilla plant protein
- Optional 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder for richer flavor + extra for coating
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons coconut milk, or as needed
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or vegan chocolate chips + more for optional chocolate drizzle
- In a small bowl, soak the dates in purified water for 20 minutes. This helps to soften them before blending to use as a binder.
- Place soaked dates (drain and discard water) and sunflower seed butter in a food processor. Blend until batter is mixed and combined, scraping the sides between blending.
- Place the date/butter mixture into a medium-sized bowl. Add the protein powder and mix to combine. For extra rich flavor, mix in the optional cocoa powder.
- If the batter is too dry, stir in 1 to 2 Tablespoons coconut milk. Pour in the chocolate chips and mix well with a spatula. Roll 1 ½ Tablespoons of batter into balls.
- To enhance the chocolate flavor, roll the protein balls in extra cocoa powder before freezing! Place the balls in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Batter Tips – *If using a thicker seed butter the batter can be too dry, a loose/drippy seed butter works best. If the batter is too dry to roll into balls, adjust with 1 to 2 Tablespoons milk. If the batter is too wet to roll into balls, add 1 to 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder or protein powder.
Storage Tips – Store balls in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 protein ball
- Calories: 127
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 33.8 mg
- Fat: 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.2 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: nut free protein balls, protein balls, nut free, gluten free, no bake, protein balls, protein bites, breakfast, snack