Chocolate Chip Homemade Crunch Bars! These gluten free crunch bars are sweet, salty, crunchy, and healthy! Made with gluten free whole grains. Ready in 30 minutes.
- 3/4 to 1 cup groats (buckwheat seeds) See more options and for toasting first below
- 1/2 c almond flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (we use enjoy life brand)
- OPTIONAL – 1/2 c cooked uncured bacon (chopped or in bits). You may also use toasted coconut or coconut bacon (vegan)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 c coconut oil or melted real butter
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup maple syrup (or honey). Add more to Adjust to your sweetness
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour or gluten free multi purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- options for toasting buckwheat – toss your groats in coconut oil (1 tbsp or so). Feel free to add any spices like cinnamon. Toast groats spread out on baking tray at 350F for 5-6 minutes. This is optional but makes EXTRA crunchy.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix your dried ingredients in one bowl. Whisk your egg, oil or butter, maple syrup, and extracts in another bowl. Combine your wet to dry and mix thoroughly. Should be like a crunchy thick batter.
- Pour into 8×8 brownie pan (greased) and bake at 350F for 20 minutes or so. Check at 18 minutes to make sure it’s not overcooked. Depends on your oven.
toasting buckwheat is optional. You can also use any other ancient grain (toasted or not). Like millet, quinoa, brown rice, amaranth, etc.