Tempeh Stir Fry Skillet with BBQ Sauce (Gluten Free)
Maple BBQ sauce/marinade
- 2/3 cup gluten free BBQ sauce (I used unsweetened BBQ sauce )
- 3 tsp fresh grated ginger or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp maple syrup (adjust to your likeness)
- sea salt an pepper to taste
For the Pan/Skillet
- 8 ounce package gluten free tempeh cut into one inch by 2 inch rectangular strips or crumble by hand
- 2/3 cup maple BBQ sauce (above) or BBQ marinade of choice
- To prepare the maple bbq sauce, combine all ingredients for sauce into a small bowl and whisk together. Set aside. If you’re quick on time, you may use 2/3 c prepared BBQ sauce of choice.
- Place olive oil or sesame oil in a medium size pan/skillet. Heat pan to medium heat and place sliced or crumbled tempeh in the pan. Turn pan to medium high and sear the tempeh 3-5 minutes on each side until crispy.
- After searing, add BBQ sauce to the pan, covering the tempeh. Mix thoroughly.
- Cook again for 2-3 minutes, coating each side to caramelize the sauce on the tempeh.
- Serve over your favorite salad, gluten free grain, on flatbread, in a sandwich or wrap, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Sometimes soy sauce or wheat berries, as well as other gluten-containing ingredients are used. As a result, it is important to always double check the label if you are looking for a gluten-free version
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Main
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 130
- Sugar: 6.3 g
- Sodium: 56.4 mg
- Fat: 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.3 g
- Fiber: 6.1 g
- Protein: 11.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, low carb, tempeh, plant based protein