This spicy vegan corn soup is made with roasted corn kernels and creamy coconut milk for an easy meal that can be made in the blender!
- 3 cups corn kernels (non GMO). This can be previously frozen if you need a quick version. Reserve 2 Tablespoons cooked corn for topping.
- 1–2 Tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (divided)
- 15 ounces light coconut milk (from the can) or unsweetened non-dairy milk of choice. (The coconut milk from the can makes the soup creamier.)
- 1 teaspoon paprika or sweet paprika
- 2–3 garlic cloves (equivalent to 1 teaspoon minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnishing
- 2 Tablespoon chili sauce, spicy curry sauce, or hot sauce
- optional peppercorns to top
- optional sliced jalapeno or peppers
- Preheat oven to 450 Fahrenheit. While the oven is preheating, toss the kernels in 1 Tablespoon oil and and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Place on a baking tray. Roast the corn kernels for 15 -20 minutes (toss halfway to prevent burning). Corn will be slightly golden brown.
- Remove corn kernels, and let cool just a bit before blending.
- Peel the garlic. Place the corn, garlic, spices, coconut milk, and 1/4 cup basil leaves in a blender. Blend until creamy. Or, use a food processor or handheld blender. (It may take extra time to get to the right consistency.) For thinner soup, add in 1/4 cup vegetable broth. Blend again.
- Pour blended soup into a medium pot. Heat on medium heat until it comes to a soft boil. About 2-3 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to low until ready to serve.
- Serve in bowls with fresh basil on top, extra chili sauce, extra roasted corn, and black pepper or peppercorn.
- Optional topping – A drizzle of coconut milk and olive oil, plus jalapeño slices.
- Store in fridge or freezer in an airtight container.
- Due to coconut milk/cream becoming solid at cooler temperatures, you will need to mix thoroughly or blend again if you want to reheat.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Soup
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 232
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 239.2 mg
- Fat: 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.1 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 4.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: soup, corn, vegan soup, roasted vegetables, quick meal, gluten free, healthy, vegetarian