Make this vegan pasta recipe for an easy dinner, using just 5 ingredients! Tender pasta with a delicious and smooth garlic walnut sauce. Gluten free with a keto recipe option!
- 1 cup walnut halves toasted (see notes)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced or whole)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or grated Parmesan cheese for non vegan option.
- 1 tsp dried herbs optional
- 1/2 c almond milk or non dairy milk
- salt/pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 12 ounces gluten free pasta or zoodles (zucchini noodles)
- fresh basil and crushed walnuts to garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a strong boil. Add salt, followed by pasta. Cook pasta al dente according to package directions.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of the pasta water, then drain the pasta and rinse with cold water. Set aside. While pasta is cooking, make the walnut sauce.
For the garlic walnut sauce
- Place toasted walnut halves, garlic, parmesan (or nutritional yeast), and herbs in a food processor or high powered blender. Blend until a mealy texture is formed.
- Next, set the blender or food processor on low and add in the almond milk. Blend until a creamy thick sauce is formed. If the sauce is too thick, add 2-4 tbsp more milk. Add the salt/pepper and lemon juice, and blend once more.
- In the same pot that cooked the pasta (which should still be warm, if not, heat to very low) heat the garlic walnut sauce. Then, mix in pasta or zoodles and 3-4 tbsp of the reserved pasta cooking water to create a creamy sauce. If the sauce isn’t creamy enough to easily coat the pasta, then add in an additional 2 tbsp water and toss again.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into bowls and add fresh basil and crushed walnuts to garnish.
To dry toast nuts:
Quickly toast the nuts in a hot, dry skillet over medium high heat for 5 minutes, tossing occasionally to prevent the nuts from burning.
- Category: Main
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2-3 ounces pasta in sauce
Keywords: vegan pasta recipe, walnut sauce, keto, low carb