This Vegan Mushroom Gravy is a gluten free recipe made with simple ingredients for an easy way to add flavor to any meal in minutes!
- 1 Tablespoon pure olive oil or butter (or plant based ghee/butter)
- 1/3 cup diced shallot or white onion
- 2 cups sliced cremini or baby portobello (about 8-10 ounces)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 small cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon tamari (gluten free soy sauce) (*See notes)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups vegetable broth
- Slurry: 1 Tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot starch mixed with 1 Tablespoon water or broth *See notes for thicker gravy
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Heat the olive oil or butter in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot/onion, and cook for about 4 minutes or until it is soft.
- Add the mushrooms and optional white wine (wine helps sweat the mushrooms), and let them cook for 8-10 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the garlic and paprika, and let it cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tamari.
- Add the broth, and let it simmer for about 10-12 minutes. While the saucepan is simmering, make the slurry.
- Whisk together the starch and liquid, and let them simmer. After 12 minutes of simmering, pour this mixture (slurry) back into the pan, and stir it until well-combined. Cook the gravy for an additional 2-3 minutes on medium-low heat until it thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with fresh finely diced parsley.
Too thick? Just add hot broth or water, and cook the gravy until is is heated through.
*Too thin? Let the gravy simmer on the stove longer to allow it to reduce and thicken. Or, add another teaspoon of slurry.
For the Whole30 option: Use coconut aminos in place of tamari and omit the wine.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Condiments
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 58
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 492.8 mg
- Fat: 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.2 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: gravy, mushroom, sauces, condiments, gluten free, dairy free, vegan