Vegan French toast pull apart bread is a delicious gluten free breakfast treat! It’s easy to make, with no dairy or eggs needed. Plus, you can make it ahead and freeze it to serve later.
Batter for French Toast –
- 1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 2/3 cup non dairy creamer (light coconut milk may be substituted)
- 1/4 cup raw sugar or maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons ground chia seed
- 2 teaspoons flax meal (ground flax seed)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (fine)
For the Pan
- 10–12 slices (390– 400 grams) gluten free bread (wide slice Little Northern Bakehouse bread, diced into pieces).
- 1 cup sliced strawberries or whole blueberries
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (or sugar substitute)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoon melted vegan butter or refined coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a bread 8×4 bread pan or cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a large bowl whisk together batter; milk, cream, sugar, starch, chia, flax, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt. Let batter sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Cut/dice the bread into small pieces. Then soak the bread in batter bowl for 15 minutes.
- Mix in berries then place the bread soaked batter into in lined pan. Add a few sliced berries on top of the loaf.
- Place bread in oven on center rack and bake for 35–40 minutes or until top is golden and firm to touch. Let cool 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- While the bread is baking, make the glaze. Combine ingredients together in small saucepan and cook on medium heat. Whisk until smooth. Reduce to low or set aside until ready to serve. Do not let glaze cool before serving.
- Remove and pour glaze on top of the bread before serving.
- If bread loaf is not holding well with extra glaze on top, then place the loaf back in the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Make ahead – The batter can be made a day ahead. Bread needs to be soaked for 15- 20 minutes before baking.
Size of bread– If are using small bread slices, you might need to add a few extra slices to batter. Total amount of bread will be between 390-400 grams.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: breakfast
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 slice w/o glaze
- Calories: 182
- Sugar: 11.1 g
- Sodium: 287.3 mg
- Fat: 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.8 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: french toast, vegan french toast, gluten free, breakfast, bread, healthy, pull apart, dairy free