Vegan condensed milk can be enjoyed as sweetened condensed milk, or make the sugar free option. Note that the sugar free option has xanthan gum. Which is a thickener, but a natural one.
- 1 can full fat coconut cream or milk (~ 400 mL)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup agave nectar or 1/3 cup powdered sugar substitute (monk fruit or Swerve)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum, (for sugar-free version)
- Combine coconut milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Whisk to combine and then bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer on low for 30 to 35 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes. It will thicken once cooled.
- Sugar free option – remove from heat after 30 minutes. Quickly whisk in 1/4 tsp xanthan gum and then let it cool.
Store in fridge, covered, for up to 3 weeks.
- Category: drink
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp with agave sweetener
Keywords: vegan condensed milk, sweetened condensed milk, sugar free condensed milk