These vegan mocha coconut macaroons come together with simple ingredients in no time!
- sweetened aquafaba (below)
-15 ounce canned chickpeas
-1/2 cup (100 g) powdered sugar
-1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons – 1 Tablespoon instant espresso/coffee
- 1/2 cup (60 g) oat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the whipped aquafaba, drain the canned chickpeas and reserve the liquid (⅔ cup -¾ cup). Place the aquafaba (chickpea liquid) in a stand mixer. Using the wire whip attachment, beat on medium speed for 30 seconds until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat on high speed for 5 minutes until the mixture forms soft stiff peaks. Place the mixer on medium speed and slowly add in the sugar, 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the instant espresso, oat flour, and salt. Add in the shredded coconut and almond extract mixing until the coconut is coated with the flour.
- Fold 2 ½ cups of whipped aquafaba into the coconut/flour mixture. Using a small cookie dough scoop, firmly press the batter into the scoop to form balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. If the batter falls apart when releasing from the cookie scoop, then place back in the mixing bowl and add an additional ½ cup aquafaba. See notes. Repeat the process until there are 15-18 macaroons.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool on the baking sheet then drizzle or coat half of the cookie with melted dark chocolate.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the refrigerator for 10 days.
Baking Tips – If the batter is too dry and will not hold together after pressing it into the cookie dough scoop, refrigerate batter for 30 minutes and then try again. Texture of batter can vary depending on the brand of shredded coconut you purchase. For the best results, I used finely shredded coconut vs flakes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 9.4 g
- Sodium: 23.7 mg
- Fat: 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0.4 mg
Keywords: coconut, macaroons, macaroons recipe, vegan dessert