Delicious Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Peppermint! Gluten Free and easy to make Christmas cookies!
recipe updated 12/2021
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) plant based butter (at room temp)
- 1/2 cup cane sugar or xylitol for sugar free substitute
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten Free 1:1 Flour (175 grams) (*See notes for substitute)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine kosher salt
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chunks or chips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint
- Optional sparkling sugar or sprinkles to coat (dye free sprinkles can be used)
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer. Beat the ingredients with an electric mixer or stand mixer for about 1-2 minutes or until they are creamed together. Add vanilla, and mix to combine.
- In another mixing bowl, sift the gluten free flour and cocoa powder together. Whisk in the baking soda and salt.
- Working in batches, add the dry mix to the sugar and butter. The batter will be thick and crumbly.
- Pour in the milk and peppermint extract, and mix again. Then, gently mix in the vinegar (do not over mix).
- Fold in the chocolate chunks and crushed peppermint (around 1/4 -1/3 cup).
- Cover batter. Then, chill the batter in the freezer for 20 minutes or the fridge for 60 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- While batter is chilling, preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, and set it aside.
- Remove the batter from the fridge or freezer. Using a medium cookie dough scoop (1 1/2 to 2 Tablespoons), scoop out dough, and roll it into a ball.
- Coat each cookie in sparkling sugar or sprinkles (optional). Then, place them on the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven on the center rack for 10-14 minutes, depending on the type of flour you use.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and let them cool on the tray before touching them. They will set and hardened as they cool.
- Store the cookies in a ziplock bag or container. They are best when kept in the fridge, but room temperature will be fine for 5-7 days.
- Vegan Butter Substitute – Real butter may be used if you are can tolerate dairy.
- Note – Chilling cookie dough controls spread. They will flatten a bit during baking. If you prefer flatter cookies, you may press the dough balls down a little bit before baking. Each type of flour will vary with how they spread.
- Gluten Free 1:1 Flour works best or a flour with xanthan gum added. This will prevent cookies from spreading.
- Gluten Free 1:1 Flour Substitute – 1 cup Gluten Free All Purpose flour, 1/2 cup oat flour, 1/4 tsp xanthan gum. Whisked together.
- Prep Time: 15
- chill time: 30
- Cook Time: 14
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 16.5 g
- Sodium: 140.4 mg
- Fat: 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.3 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 15.4 mg
Keywords: vegan cookies, christmas cookies, chocolate cookies, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, chocolate peppermint