Delicious Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Peppermint! Gluten Free and easy to make Christmas cookies!
recipe updated 12/2019
- 1 stick (around 110 g) vegan butter (see notes for substitute)
- 3/4 cup raw sugar or xylitol for sugar free substitute
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.25 c heaping cup 1:1 gluten free flour (Bob’s Red Mill) or GF multipurpose flour- see notes.
- 1 tbsp potato starch or 1.25 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine kosher salt
- 1/4 c cup non dairy milk
- 1/2 to 1 tsp peppermint extract or 2 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chunks or chips
- 1 tsp distilled vinegar
- 1/2c crushed Peppermint (extra for topping)
- Optional red/white sprinkles to coat (dye free sprinkles can be used)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Preheat oven 350F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or silicon mat
- In a small bowl, beat the butter and the sugar together and beat with electric mixer until creamed together. Around 2 minutes. Add the optional vanilla if desired. vanilla and mix in.
- In another large mixing bowl, Sift the gluten free flour and cocoa powder together then add in your baking soda and seasalt.
- Combine your wet ingredients with the sifted flours (dry mix). Beat or mix thoroughly. Batter will be thick.
- Add your milk and peppermint extract and mix again.
- Gently mix in your vinegar (do not overstir), then fold in your chocolate chunks and crushed peppermint (around 1/4 -1/3 c).
- Once the batter is mixed, chill in freezer for 30 minutes or fridge for 90 minutes up to 24 hours.
- Once the batter has chilled, remove from fridge or freezer then roll batter into golf ball size balls.
- Coat eat cookie dough ball in sugar crystals or sprinkles (optional), then place on baking sheet. (see notes)
- Place any extra peppermint chips on top of each cookie ball. Place in oven in center wrack for 12-14 minutes depending on the thickness of your cookies.
- Remove from oven and let the cookie cool on tray before touching them. They will set and hardened as they cool.
- Store in ziplock bag or container. Best kept in fridge but room temp will be fine for 5-7 days. Freezer friendly.
- Note – Chilling cookie dough controls spread. They will flatten a bit during baking. If you prefer flatter cookies, you may press the dough balls down a little bit before baking. Each type of flour will vary with how they spread.
- FLOURS – Gluten Free 1:1 Flour works best or a flour with xanthan gum added. This will prevent cookies from spreading.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan cookies, christmas cookies, chocolate cookies, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, chocolate peppermint