Gluten free, fluffy, and full of nutrients, these Vegan Buckwheat Banana Waffles are made with simple ingredients for a quick breakfast or easy brinner the whole family will love! Refined Sugar Free.
- 1 cup (150 grams) + buckwheat flour or gluten free oat flour
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) plant-based protein powder or additional oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4–1 1/3 cups non-dairy milk (adjust to desired thickness)
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 (100 grams) ripe banana
- 4 Tablespoons melted refined coconut oil or naturally refined avocado oil (see notes for substitutes.
- Optional Sweetener – maple syrup to taste
- Optional – 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, protein powder, baking soda, and salt).
- In a second, smaller bowl, whisk together the milk and apple cider vinegar. After a few minutes, it will start to curdle as real buttermilk does.
- When the liquid has curdled, blend it with the banana.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients. Whisk to combine, being careful not to overmix.
- Let the batter rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a waffle iron over low to medium heat. Grease with coconut oil or butter.
- Once heated, pour ⅓ cup of the waffle batter into the waffle iron. *Note – ¼-½ cup batter may be used depending on the size of the waffle maker. Help the batter spread with a palette knife or the back of a wooden spoon.
- Cook the batter 2-4 minutes before removing it from the waffle iron. * Note that each waffle maker cooks differently, so check progress at 2 minutes.
- Repeat the cooking process until all the batter has been used.
- Let the waffles cool on a plate or baking rack.
Store in the fridge for up to 4 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
The more milk you use, the thinner the waffles will be. The longer the batter sits, the thicker it will be when you cook it.
Naturally refined coconut oil and refined avocado oil have a neutral taste. Do not use extra virgin oils.
This recipe will give you 4 medium-sized waffles, depending on the size of the waffle iron.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2-4 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 waffle
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 67.3 mg
- Fat: 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.8 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Protein: 5.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, waffles, breakfast, buckwheat, brunch, kid-friendly, dairy free