Toasted Pine Nut and Leek Quinoa Salad Recipe. Easy to make, gluten free, vegetarian, dairy free.
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- water or broth
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (divided)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2/3 cup thinly diced/chopped leeks (root portion)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped shallot or onion
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 tsp honey (use agave nectar for vegan options)
- cracked pepper (to taste)
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lemon (1-2 tbsp juice)
- First rinse your quinoa. Add 1 cup quinoa, 1/4 tsp salt, and you need about 2 cups liquid. Bring liquid to a boil with quinoa, then reduce heat to medium low and cover for 20 minutes or until fluffy. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a small bowl, combine your chopped leeks (the roots), onion, pine nuts, honey, salt, pepper, and 1- 2 tbsp olive oil. Toss and then lay it flat on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread evenly across paper.
- Roast/toast for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove, toss the pine nuts and then return to oven for another 4 -5 minutes or a total of 10 -12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and combine (in a large bowl) cooked quinoa with honey toasted mixture.
- Mix in your minced garlic, cracked pepper, 1/2 tbsp more olive oil, and 1- 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice.
- Season with flaked sea salt or coarse sea salt and serve.
- Store in airtight container in fridge for up to 4 -5 days.
- For vegan option, omit honey.
- To boost protein or serve as a main meal, pair quinoa salad with chicken breast, fish, or plant based protein of choice.
- Category: side
- Method: roast/bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: quinoa, vegetarian, salad, gluten free, healthy, salad, dairy free