Lighten up a classic home cooked comfort food dish with spiralized sweet potatoes! A simple wholesome gluten free/grain free spaghetti casserole ready in no time. Protein rich and veggie packed.
- 2 peeled sweet potato (4.5 cups spiralized)
- 2 oz cream cheese or 1/4 to 1/3 cup sour cream (see notes for non dairy option)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup almond or coconut milk (drinking milk works great).
- 1 egg and 2 egg whites whisked
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp onion salt or sea salt (dash of garlic/salt for after baking as well)
- 2 oz diced olives or pimentos (drained if using canned)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup cooked sliced gluten free sausage (chicken sausage, chickpeas, or any gluten free breakfast sausage all work)
- 1 cup greens (spinach or kale)
- 5 oz crumbled cheese – Parmesan or Feta work great. (see notes for non dairy option)
- 4–5 basil leaves for topping
- optional black pepper seasoning on top
- Optional 2 –3 tbsp pesto mixed with spaghetti noodles before baking
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Peel your sweet potatoes then spiralize them. Comes out to about 4.5 cups.
- Place sweet potato noodles in a bowl and steam in microwave for about 1 minutes or on stove top for 5 minutes, until potato noodles are al dente.
- Then add 1 tbsp oil and your garlic, onion salt. Toss so that the noodles are lightly coated. To make more flavorful, feel free to toss the cooked sweet potato spaghetti noodles in a pesto before placing in casserole dish.
- In another bowl, mix your sour cream (or cream cheese), whisked eggs, and milk.
- Lightly coat a casserole dish with oil or coconut spray.
- Layer your ingredients. starting with noodles, then chicken sausage, olives or pimentos, then spinach or kale greens.
- Next add your cream cheese/egg mixture. then add tomato sauce and crumbled cheese (parmesan or feta work great).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cheese starts to brown. Check noodles for tenderness if you can.
- Optional: Top with fresh basil, black pepper and any additional sea salt or garlic.
DAIRY FREE RECIPE NOTES
- For Dairy Free: If you cannot eat feta/cheese, then add 1/4 to 1/3 cup nutritional yeast instead.
- Instead of cream cheese or sour cream, you can use a non dairy yogurt or cream cheese but consistency might be a little different.
TO MAKE MEATLESS:
- Feel free to replace the sausage with 1 cup cooked chickpeas for meatless option
Nutrition shown below for casserole with lean chicken sausage
- Category: main, dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 249
- Sugar: 3.1g
- Sodium: 678.5mg
- Fat: 14.8g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7g
- Carbohydrates: 14.1g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 61.7mg
Keywords: spaghetti casserole, spiralized sweet potatoes, sweet potato noodles, healthy pasta, kid friendly, gluten free