Pizza night just got better with this socca flatbread pizza recipe! Naturally high in protein thanks to the chickpea flour, it’s grain-free, gluten-free, and ready in less than 45 minutes.
For the Socca Crust:
- 1 1/4 cup chickpea flour (150 grams)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil, divided
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Optional: 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- Pizza sauce, tomato sauce or nomato sauce
- Fresh cut/sliced veggies (such as zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper, etc.)
- Non dairy shredded cheese or cheese of choice
- Fresh basil to garnish
Optional Protein Choices:
- Uncured turkey pepperoni
- Cooked, diced or shredded chicken
- Cooked, crumbled BBQ tempeh
- In a bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, 2 tablespoons olive oil, water, salt, pepper, garlic powder and optional seasonings of choice. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat broiler or oven to 450 degrees F, place a 10-inch cast iron or ovenproof skillet on the center rack (about 8 inches from the heat) for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the toppings, and set aside.
- Using oven mitts, carefully remove the skillet from the oven. Turn the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of oil into hot skillet and swirl around to evenly coat the bottom of pan. Pour in the chickpea batter.
- Place the skillet in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the batter has set. Check after 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and add toppings of choice.
- Return the skillet to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the socca crust is crisp. Check at 10 minutes for doneness.
- Top with optional fresh herbs, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes. Slice and serve.
Prepare the socca crust ahead of time. Wrap each baked and fully cooled crust individually with foil, and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Storage – Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Main
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: French/Italian
- Serving Size: 1 slice with sauce and veggies (no cheese)
- Calories: 164
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 71.6 mg
- Fat: 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.9 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 6.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: socca pizza, flatbread pizza, pizza, socca, gluten free pizza