This Roasted Red Pepper Soup recipe is intensely flavorful, extra creamy, and even comes with an option to add protein.
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 Tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 1/2 to 1 2/3 cup diced onion or shallot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 13.6 ounce can light coconut milk
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth (adjust to desired thickness)
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca starch or cornstarch
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup crushed canned tomatoes, drained
- Optional Bisque topping (from original recipe) – 6 to 8 ounces medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail off (see notes)
- Garnish – fresh chopped parsley or cilantro. Grated Parmesan, optional. Omit to keep dairy free.
- Preheat the oven to 475 F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place bell pepper(s) on a baking sheet and place in the oven to roast for 15-20 minutes, rotating halfway. Note – Use tongs to rotate the peppers so each side is browned. If needed, broil for 2-3 minutes for extra charring.
- Remove peppers from the oven and let cool. Once cooled, remove skin from peppers and slice off the stem and remove core. Dice roasted bell peppers into small pieces for blending. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large pot. Turn to medium heat and add the onion and garlic sauteing 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- In the same pot, combine the coconut milk, broth, tapioca starch, red pepper flakes, cayenne, cumin, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Bring the ingredients to a light boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the roasted red bell peppers and crushed tomatoes. Using an immersion blender, carefully blend until smooth. (See notes for blender option.)
- Bring soup, uncovered, to a light boil then reduce to a simmer for 10 to 20 minutes or until soup has reduced and thickened. Stirring occasionally. (See notes if adding shrimp).
- Serve and garnish with fresh herbs and extra seasoning, if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Cooking Tip – An alternative to a hand blender (immersion blender) is a blender or food processor. The same results can be achieved by letting the soup cool a bit, then working in small batches, filling the blender halfway as the soup is hot. Be sure the lid is firmly in place before turning it on. Blend until creamy.
Substitute – For a bisque option (from original recipe), add shrimp and 1 Tablespoon water to a pot and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until shrimp are pink and no longer translucent. Remove shrimp to a plate until the soup is finished then gently stir shrimp into the soup (Step 4). For a quick option use precooked shrimp & add it to the prepared soup to warm.
Storage Tips – Once cooled, store soup in the freezer in an airtight container or plastic freezer bag for up to 3 months.
The nutrition information below does not include protein.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 9.6 g
- Sodium: 553.8 mg
- Fat: 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.5 g
- Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 2.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: easy soup, red pepper soup, dairy free soup, roasted red pepper, dairy free, gluten free