This crab dip is bursting with extra flavor from roasted jalapeno peppers! It’s an easy gluten free party appetizer recipe, perfect for your next holiday gathering. With dairy-free recipe option.
- 3 jalapeños
- 5 ounces (2/3 cup) plain Greek yogurt or light sour cream
- 5 ounces crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup hummus or paleo mayo
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided (see notes for dairy free option)
- 1 Tablespoon gluten free tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (~2 cloves)
- 1/3 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice or lime juice
- 6 ounces canned lump crab or other canned fish, drained
- Kosher salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 chopped green onion, plus extra for topping
- Garnish – chopped fresh cilantro and chopped green onion
To Roast/Grill Jalapenos:
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Place jalapenos on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake for 10 minutes then flip and roast another 8-10 minutes.
- Once cooked, seal jalapenos in Ziploc bag for 20 minutes. Remove jalapenos and peel the skin off and slice in half, lengthwise. Remove seeds for a less spicy dip, if desired. Dice jalapenos by hand or in a food processor. Set aside.
Prepare Crab Dip:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a medium sized bowl, stir together yogurt, feta, hummus, 2/3 cup shredded cheese, tamari, garlic, hot sauce, paprika, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Fold in diced roasted jalapeño, chopped green onion and lump crab meat.
- Evenly spread mixture in a small cast iron pan or casserole dish. Cover with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until heated through and bubbly. Broil last minute to brown the edges. Serve with gluten free flatbread, veggie chips, or tortilla chips.
Substitutes – Vegan cream cheese may be subbed for Greek yogurt and feta. Nutritional yeast or plant based shredded cheese may be substituted for shredded cheddar. The texture and baking times will vary. A 4 ounce can of jalapenos or green chiles may be substituted for roasted jalapenos. Drained canned tuna, chicken or salmon can be used in place of lump crab meat.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 22
- Category: appetizer
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 117
- Sugar: 1.8 g
- Sodium: 434.3 mg
- Fat: 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.7 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 9.4 g
- Cholesterol: 38.5 mg
Keywords: crab dip, appetizer, gluten free, low carb, sugar free, roasted jalapenos, snack, dip