This crab dip is bursting with extra flavor from roasted jalapeno peppers! It’s an easy gluten free party appetizer recipe, perfect for your next holiday gathering. With dairy-free recipe option.
- 2–3 jalapeños (to grill/roast). Use 3 if the jalapeños are on the smaller side.
- 5 ounces plain greek yogurt (2/3 c) or light sour cream
- 5 ounces crumbled feta
- 1/4 c hummus or paleo mayo
- 1 cup cheese (shredded cheddar) – divided – see notes for dairy free option.
- 1 tbsp gluten free tamari/soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic or 3 cloves
- 1/3 c hot sauce or Frank’s sauce
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or lime
- 6 ounces canned lump crab (drained) – other canned fish may be used.
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Chopped green onion (extra for topping )
- Cilantro to garnish
To Roast/Grill jalapenos:
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Place jalapenos on baking tray (foil lined) 425F for 10 minutes then flip and roast another 8-10. You may use an indoor or outside grill if you prefer. Just make sure jalapenos are placed on foil.
- Once cooked, seal jalapenos in ziplock for 20 minutes. Remove and then peel skin and slice in half, lengthwise. Remove seeds if desired. Dice by hand or food processor. Set aside
- Don’t have time to roast the jalapenos? Use 4 ounce canned jalapenos or green chiles!
For the Crab dip:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine yogurt, feta, mayonnaise or hummus, 2/3 c shredded cheddar cheese, soy sauce, minced garlic, hot sauce, paprika, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir together until combined.
- Mix in diced roasted jalapeño, 1 tbsp chopped green onion (reserve extra for garnish), and fold in lump crab meat. Canned tuna, chicken, or salmon may be used as well. Drained.
- Spread in a small cast iron pan or small casserole dish. Add extra roasted jalapeño (sliced) on top and cover with 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until heated through and bubbly. Broil last minute to brown the edges. Serve with a gluten free flatbread, veggie chips, or tortilla chips.
Dairy free subs – *Note that texture and baking times will vary* – Vegan cream cheese may be subbed for feta and nutritional yeast maybe subbed for cheddar. The texture will not be cheesy, although the taste will be!
- Category: appetizer
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: crab dip, appetizer, gluten free, low carb, sugar free, roasted jalapenos, snack, dip