Riced Broccoli Cauliflower Risotto – This oven baked, low carb side dish recipe makes a lighter version of classic risotto that’s kid-friendly and healthy!
- 1 head of cauliflower and 3-4 small crown broccoli, cut into small chunks (bottom stem and leaves trimmed off) (about 5-6 cups riced)
- 2 pieces of uncured bacon, cut into small pieces or butter/oil for vegetarian option
- 1 large shallot or 3/4 c red onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped (about 1 tsp minced)
- 1/4 chopped asparagus (celery works as a substitute)
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 c – 2/3 broth c (120ml) or chicken stock
- Thyme leaves, plus oil to fry it in (optional)
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (omit for Whole30 and paleo)
- Finely chopped fresh herbs
- Lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In small batches, put the cauliflower chunks into a food processor. Process until the cauliflower has the consistency of rice. Repeat with broccoli florets. Combine the two in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces. Bacon is optional. If you don’t want to use bacon, replace with olive oil or refined avocado oil.
- Add bacon, shallot, and garlic to a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté until bacon becomes brown (crispy edges) and onion is translucent and fragrant, about 5 to 7 minutes. If the bacon hasn’t released enough fat, add a little bit of olive oil or butter to the pot.
- Add the asparagus (or celery) and sauté for 5 minutes more.
- Next, mix in the riced broccoli and cauliflower. Stir ingredients together over medium heat.
- Stir in the chicken stock and place a few sprigs of fresh thyme on top. Cover the pot and place in the oven for 13-15 minutes.
- While that’s cooking, feel free to fry your herbs. This is optional but easy and delicious!. Simply place the thyme in a pan and cover with oil. Cook (fry) on high for 45-60 seconds. Remove and pat dry. Your herbs will be crispy and perfect for garnishing!
- Take the risotto out of the oven and place on stove over medium heat. Stir in generous amounts of grated Parmesan cheese, a touch of butter, the fried thyme, and a squeeze of lemon.
- Garnish with lemon slices and peppercorns.
- This dish can be stored in airtight container in fridge for up to 5 days. Or freeze for 2 months.
- If you’re looking for whole 30 option, omit cheese.
- Skip the bacon for vegetarian option.
Keywords: riced broccoli, cauliflower rice, cauliflower risotto, healthy risotto