Risotto-style broccoli cauliflower casserole is an oven baked, low carb side dish recipe, for a lighter version of classic risotto that’s kid-friendly and healthy!
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3–4 small broccoli crowns, bottom stem and leaves trimmed off
- 2 slices uncured bacon, cut into small pieces (see notes for vegetarian option)
- 1 large shallot or 3/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (about 1 teaspoon minced)
- 1/4 cup chopped asparagus (celery works as a substitute)
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup vegetable or chicken stock or broth
- Thyme leaves, plus oil to fry it in (optional)
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (omit for Whole30 and dairy-free)
- Finely chopped fresh herbs
- Lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In small batches, put the cauliflower florets into a food processor. Process until the cauliflower has the consistency of rice. Transfer to a large bowl and repeat with broccoli florets. Combine the two in the bowl. You should have 5 to 6 cups total of riced broccoli and cauliflower. Set aside. See notes for how to rice veggies.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces. Bacon is optional. If you don’t want to use bacon, replace with olive oil or refined avocado oil.
- Add bacon, shallot, and garlic to a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté until bacon becomes brown (crispy edges) and onion is translucent and fragrant, about 5 to 7 minutes. If the bacon hasn’t released enough fat, add a little bit of olive oil or butter to the pot.
- Add the asparagus and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the riced broccoli and cauliflower to the pot. Stir ingredients together over medium heat.
- Stir in the stock/broth and place a few sprigs of fresh thyme on top. Cover the pot and place in the oven for 13-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the herbs, if desired. Simply place the thyme in a pan and cover with oil. Cook (fry) on high for 45-60 seconds. Remove and pat dry. Your herbs will be crispy and perfect for garnishing!
- Take the risotto out of the oven and place on stove over medium heat. Stir in generous amounts of grated Parmesan cheese, the fried thyme, and a squeeze of lemon.
- Garnish with lemon slices and peppercorns.
- This dish can be stored in airtight container in fridge for up to 5 days. Or freeze for 2 months.
- For Whole30 option, omit cheese.
- For vegetarian option, omit the bacon and use cooking oil or butter instead.
- See HOW TO RICE VEGGIES post for tips on making broccoli and cauliflower.
- Prep Time: 12 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: side dish
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 469 mg
- Fat: 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 11.6 g
- Cholesterol: 21.4 mg
Keywords: riced broccoli, cauliflower rice, cauliflower rice risotto, broccoli cauliflower casserole